Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Of the four concerti written by Rachmaninoff, which is most difficult to least?  (Read 9170 times)

Offline arvhaax93

• PS Silver Member
..in ranking order?

I know it can vary depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the pianist, but a general order would be appreciated.
PS: I am well aware that Rachmaninoff's 3rd is the most difficult, but i'd still like to know the ranking of difficulty of his other 3 concerti
Currently Learning:
Mozart Sonata in D Major K. 284
Chopin Etude Op. 25 No. 1 "Aeolian Harp"
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 1 in F# minor, Op. 1

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
I played the second almost 10 years ago for my graduation concert (accompanied by a second piano, I wasn't lucky to play with conservatoire orchestra  :( ) and that was a really exhausting experience. Rachmaninoff was a first class virtuoso and that concerto is one of the most uncomfortable works I've never played. I also started the third concerto but never completed it, too much dense, too large and maybe too extreme virtuosistic, too restless (45 minutes of jumps, huge chords, double notes, OMG!) for my skills (and patience). I have also the scores of the other two but I have not even read  the score at the piano but at sight (without playing it, only viewing the score) both looks also terribly difficult. Maybe the first one has a more conventional writing but that doesn't mean it has to be easier...

So, in brief and IMHO, I cannot order them. I think that every one of them is a top piece in the repertoire, incredibly difficult to play and has its own different but always challenging difficulties.

Offline weissenberg2

• PS Silver Member
hardest to easiest: 3,2,1,4
"A true friend is one who likes you despite your achievements." - Arnold Bennett

Offline 11ngerman

• PS Silver Member
3-2-1-4
the third is one of the hardest concertos!

Offline lisztrachmaninovfan

• PS Silver Member
hardest to easiest: 3,2,1,4

You guys seriously think that the 4th is easiest? Have you guys heard/seen the sheet of music of the last movement?  :o It seems a lot easier if you just hear a recording, but it's a LOT more difficult if you've actually tried playing it yourself. It's also quite strenuous and requires a lot of practice (tons of uncomfortable passage-work, esp. in the outer movements).  But I do agree that the 3rd concerto is the hardest:

3, 4, 2, 1

His 2nd concerto seems hard at first, but it's really just a lot of finger/scale work. If you have a solid technique, this work shouldn't be extremely difficult for you.  :D Though getting through any of these concertos in one sitting is a whole-nother issue...
Currently working on:
*Prelude, Op.23 N.4 (Rachmaninoff)
*Prelude & Fugue in F major, WTC II (Bach)
...not fully decided on what else to start (most likely will be a Liszt, Schubert, or Medtner)...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert