Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Video: Beethoven Hammerklavier Sonata Fugue  (Read 6290 times)

Offline jezza_0410

• PS Silver Member
Video: Beethoven Hammerklavier Sonata Fugue
on: July 24, 2010, 07:53:47 AM

Part 1

Part 2

Hi I'm a 16 year-old student, and decided to tackle the Hammerklavier Sonata after hearing Richter's performance of it. The Fugue is my second favourite movement of the piece (after the Adagio). Unfortunately my Macbook's in-built mic is not great so the sound quality is lacking.

Any comments on how to improve? I know I am very inaccurate...

Thanks!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Video: Beethoven Hammerklavier Sonata Fugue
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 10:04:36 AM
Well, that is some feat!  And for a 16 year-old, no less.  You play with remarkable fluidity.
Now.  Only a few words, because this is something you will come back to in later years.
The one thing that is lacking is the "voicing" (not in the piano tuner's sense) of the fugue.  You play every voice the same.  As far as colors go, I hear forte and mp and nothing in between.  The structure is not clear at all.  I imagine you have studied it from a composer's point of view.  well, you have to make this obvious to the listener.  It's a 3 voice fugue, but I don't hear it.  Not even in the lyrical middle part.  Practise it in slow motion.  Find what is more important - exaggerate that and play down the other parts.  There are times when the trills are paramount and you can experiment with the pedal when they come in.  I could go on and on here, but the principal work remaining is a musical analytical reading of this "bestia nera".
Would really like to hear the adagio - probably one of Beethoven's greatest achievements.
Good work, though.  I love to hear young pianists bask in the technical aspects of their playing.  It's truly invigorating!

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 03:34:32 AM
Is anybody going to recognize this achievement here! 16 years old! Birba has some good observations, but so well learning it as you have now is really going to serve you well in the future when you come back to it. Congratulations.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline jezza_0410

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 06:34:55 PM
Thank you very much to your kind and constructive comments!

I do have a problem with voicing- the quality of the mic of my Macbook probably made it more obvious. Whose performance of this movement should I listen to to improve the overall musicality of the piece?

Thanks once again.

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 07:42:24 PM
Well, I'd not limit yourself. Of the past, Richter, Gilels, Petri, Schnabel, Richter-Haaser, Ogdon, Arrau and others all have towering performances which are among my favorites, and there are some now playing it, such as Andras Schiff and Mitsuko Uchida that are worthy of attention.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:44:08 AM
Listen to Kempff's old Deutsch Grammaphone recording.  Resist judging it immediately and listen to it again and again.  How he brings out the music in this impossible piece is no less then phenomenal.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 01:34:54 AM
I have listened twice to the complete Hammerklavier sonata played by professionals and I must say it is formidable in its demands and length...hehhehe.  Your effort here is admirable to say the least especially considering your young age.  I just wish that the many young players we see here in PS and in YT will continue their efforts well into adulthood.  It brings so much promise that classical piano will live on and on.

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 05:25:44 AM
I just realized, it isn't emill the boy talking, but his mother.  I thought he sounded very mature for his age..

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 05:33:35 AM
Father, actually. :)

And I've met some very mature 14 year olds.

Offline jezza_0410

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 06:13:41 PM
I wrote those posts myself. Neither of my parents speak/write English very well, nor would I allow them to post anything under my name!

@Birba, I shall take that as a compliment!
@furtwaengler, I actually listened to Schiff's lecture about the entire Hammerklavier Sonata. He is incredibly musical, but I disagree with him regarding the speed at which the slow movement should be played...

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 03:30:24 AM
Apologies, Jezza, we were referring not to you, but to Emill, who is a member on behave of his son, Lorenzo (Enzo). And yes, I agree with you on Schiff's tempo, but to hear him play it live is quite an experience.

I think Birba's suggestion of Kempff coupled with Hans Richter-Haaser (and AMAZING recording) and samplings of the others (Emil Gilels and Sviatoslav Richter especially) would give you a pretty good idea. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert