Piano Forum

A Sudden Chat with Paul Lewis about Beethoven & Schubert
Substituting for the suddenly indisposed Janine Jensen, pianist Paul Lewis shares his ideas on his global Schubert project, classical repertoire focus and views on titans Beethoven vs. Schubert. Read more >>

Topic: Schumann Scenes from Childhood suggestions - please  (Read 6594 times)

Offline percycat

• PS Silver Member
Schumann Scenes from Childhood suggestions - please
on: August 12, 2010, 08:24:13 PM
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post. : )

I am learning #1 (Of Foreign Lands and People) and #7 (Traumerei) and would like a recommendation for 3rd or maybe a fourth piece to play with these two as a collection. I think I would like play number #7 last because it has a definite ending sound. I assume I will play #1 first.

A first thought would be to play #12 (Child Falling Asleep), but I am open any suggestions. I think they are all within my playing ability, although some are clearly more challenging to play than others.

I look forward to hearing your recommendations!
Percycat

Offline _nisa_

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann Scenes from Childhood suggestions - please
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:45:08 PM
Hi and welcome here!

Can you give us more precisions about your abilities? What are you playing?

_Nisa_

Offline percycat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:15:48 PM
Hello Nisa,
Thank you for responding to my post!
I am an adult pianist who plays for fun.  I like to play a wide variety of classical/semi-classical music.  I enjoy playing several Bach Inventions ( 1, 4, 7, 8, 13, 14), Bach Prelude and Fugue in c,  Beethoven 2nd movement Sonate Pathetique, Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2, Dubussy  Clair De Lune, and a host of Scott Joplin (Maple Leaf, The Entertainer, Easy Winners, Elite Syncopations, The Cascades...). The most challenging piece I recently learned to play was Mozart's Variations on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

I personally think any of the pieces are within my learning ability, I am hoping to find a suggestion for another piece or two from this collection to play as part of a little recital for my friends and family.

Thanks again.
Percycat

Offline dorfmouse

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:15:46 AM
Ah, the Kinderszenen are such lovely pieces!
For a short recital, I suggest that you choose one or two of the livelier pieces e.g. the crazy Hobby-horse *9 or the Blind man's buff *3 as a contrast to the three you have mentioned, which are all quite reflective in nature. They're fast-ish, but short and not technically difficult and sound really child-like and playful.
"I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
W.B. Yeats

Offline dave3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:55:06 PM
Hi Perycat, :-) Schumann happens to be my favourite composer i so much love his scenes from childhood playing them isn't difficult because it is lovely :-) i also prefer the one in G major.... Though i didn't get your post very well sorry ''hugs'' :-D

Offline werq34ac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:10:46 PM
Who says Kinderszenen is easy? Sure the notes may be easy but musically Schumann is not exactly the easiest composer. It's easy to play a piece with easy notes, but it almost seems like musically they are more difficult.
Ravel Jeux D'eau
Brahms 118/2
Liszt Concerto 1
Rachmaninoff/Kreisler Liebesleid
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert