Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Questions about conducting  (Read 1241 times)

Offline kuya

• PS Silver Member
Questions about conducting
on: August 14, 2010, 05:41:16 AM
Hello,
recently, Ive wondered about conductors.
It seems like a really hard job and all, on-stage and off-stage as well but where do the real hardships and difficulties lie ?

Any conductors here? Id like to get some information and ask more questions :).

thanks for the help

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Questions about conducting
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 12:14:23 PM
Conductors are like a manager for a soccer team. The players all know how to play the game but they need to work together as a team and with such a strategy that the manager thinks will work best. The conductor has to be able to micromanage parts of the orchestra and ensure that rehearsals are well time managed and efficient so that everything that need to be done gets done in time and the team understands it well. Conductors have to have a vision for what the orchestra should sound like and they should be clear and concise in how they convey that to the orchestra (targeting the problem fast and accurately and commanding the solution in a clear precise manner). The conductor also has to push every part of the orchestra and challenge them to work at their peak, motivate and inspire them all to work hard and take pride in the performance. The conductor also has to know what class of musicians they are working with and not to expect to much or too little from them, measuring this accurately is important.

I like this link on what professional orchestra players think about conductors.

https://oboeclassics.com/~oboe3583/ambache/conductor.htm
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 05:56:20 PM
I'm not a conductor but I've heard enough about them.

They have to communicate -- Get along with everyone, communicate their vision of the work.

Interprete the score.

They don't have to worry about building up great instrumental technique, but they still do need clear conducting technique at least.  Although some 'great' ones look pretty sloppy but if the group plays the way they want I guess no one cares.

Knowledge of transpositions.

Ability to rehearse a group -- keep things moving and some "edu-taining" for the instrumentalists.

Ability to come up with their own interpretation.  That's a big one. 

And getting a job is tough.  And then what do you while you don't have a job and you have no "instrument" to work with?  It's not the same to conduct a recording at all.

Charisma and enthusiasm also.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:01:49 AM
I'm not a conductor but I've heard enough about them.

They have to communicate -- Get along with everyone, communicate their vision of the work.

Interprete the score.

They don't have to worry about building up great instrumental technique, but they still do need clear conducting technique at least.  Although some 'great' ones look pretty sloppy but if the group plays the way they want I guess no one cares.

Knowledge of transpositions.

Ability to rehearse a group -- keep things moving and some "edu-taining" for the instrumentalists.

Ability to come up with their own interpretation.  That's a big one. 

And getting a job is tough.  And then what do you while you don't have a job and you have no "instrument" to work with?  It's not the same to conduct a recording at all.

Charisma and enthusiasm also.
Let's say this is the IDEAL.  Valid and competent conductors are very few and far between. 

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 03:48:13 PM
I've heard that too.  Instrumentalists want someone who has some idea to communicate to them.  I've heard that many times.  Someone who's prepared and has an idea of how to shape the music.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 05:06:33 PM
Being able to get along with all sorts people is probably the most important aspect other than an incredible musical knowledge for a conductor. It's a lot like herding cats except without the tasty treats as rewards. Cats won't debate you but musicians will. Winning those debates without belittling your opponent and winning support for your ideas are the keys to success.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 05:12:36 PM
Conductors are like a manager for a soccer team.

Maybe England would be better off with Simon Rattle??

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline howy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:26:09 PM
Conductors never seem to stop amazing me. For the non-musicians they seem to be making inarticulated hand movements, but it is far far from that.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert