Piano Forum

Poll

Does do it yourself RCM counterpoint 4 sound practical?

Yes
1 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Counterpoint 4 Textbook for DIY  (Read 11264 times)

Offline premiumookwee

• PS Silver Member
Counterpoint 4 Textbook for DIY
on: September 10, 2010, 09:50:51 PM
Hello everybody. I finished my RCM ARCT practical exam 2 years ago. I also just did RCM history 5 in August. I was thinking about taking RCM counterpoint 4 in the Kitchener/Waterloo (Ontario) area but the lesson prices are too expensive because it is all private. I as wondering if anybody could suggest a well written book I could read in an attempt to learn counterpoint 4 by myself.

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Re: Counterpoint 4 Textbook for DIY
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 12:38:28 AM
I'm in the same boat!!  I actually did my ARCT 2 years ago, and have all the History, but can't find a damn teacher (or workbook) for Counterpoint 4.  The syllabus is way too vague for me to venture off on my own.  I've just been using the internet and the practice exams lol.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline premiumookwee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 01:37:39 AM
I hope it wouldn't be too much trouble in asking but could you please type out the what the syllabus says your supposed to learn for analysis 5 and harmony 5. I was talking with an instructor for counterpoint 4 and I got a complimentary listing of what you're supposed to learn in counterpoint 4. Private lessons are too expensive for me.

I would really appreciate it since I'd like to know what's coming ahead. I've spent a good amount of time on google looking but nobody has even a remote description of what you're supposed to lean in harmony 5 and analysis 5. I am still waiting on a reply for a good DIY book. Thank you so much for your effort.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:11:38 PM
Just looked at the counterpoint syllabus listing.   I've studied species counterpoint in uni but never taken the RCM counterpoint exam. 

The subject matter appears more towards applied counterpoint, fugal studies, and baroque dance forms.  A good majority of the items seem to focus on fugue writing techniques and analysis of such techniques.  As it stands IMO the prescribed title of "counterpoint" is misleading and a bit inaccurate.

You may be better off searching for books on fugue writing and Baroque dance.  There is a list of books at the back of the syllabus but somehow a couple of them do not seem congruent with what the syllabus is stipulating for the exam.  Keep in mind when looking for books species counterpoint is quite different from the applied counterpoint this syllabus setting out. 

If you at all enjoy learning the "counterpoint" curriculum in this syllabus, I suggest you do take on species counterpoint. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline premiumookwee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:18:44 PM
Just looked at the counterpoint syllabus listing.   I've studied species counterpoint in uni but never taken the RCM counterpoint exam.  

The subject matter appears more towards applied counterpoint, fugal studies, and baroque dance forms.  A good majority of the items seem to focus on fugue writing techniques and analysis of such techniques.  As it stands IMO the prescribed title of "counterpoint" is misleading and a bit inaccurate.

You may be better off searching for books on fugue writing and Baroque dance.  There is a list of books at the back of the syllabus but somehow a couple of them do not seem congruent with what the syllabus is stipulating for the exam.  Keep in mind when looking for books species counterpoint is quite different from the applied counterpoint this syllabus setting out.  

I don't have the theory syllabus. I found pdf of recommended books from the RCM a while ago but none of them were on amazon.com. I am not sure what "species counterpoint" is and how it is different from "applied counterpoint". Do you have any particular books you recommend?

I'm not even a university music student. Does this sound practical at all: DIY RCM Counterpoint 4? I'll add a poll to this thread to see if people think it is even practical.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 02:48:28 AM
Species counterpoint:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterpoint#Species_counterpoint

Applied Counterpoint points more towards real-world compositional forms such as the invention, fugue and canon.  

If you could handle RCM harmony (all levels), you could probably handle RCM counterpoint.  If you are at all intending to take RCM exams the syllabus is essential reading - it is the official document governing the content of exams.  Current thinking at the RCM states that there are no "offical" RCM textbooks, except the syllabus.  

The problem with self-study is that you will not have any critique on your work and give lessons on improvement.  If you have challenges in grasping a concept, it is difficult to self-check your work to see if you did it correctly.  

My counterpoint prof referred a lot to J.J. Fux and Knud Jeppesen texts.  You may wish to check those out for starters.   However, some stuff may not directly apply to the RCM exam.

Scores:
Bach WTC - analyze the fugues

Species counterpoint:
https://www.listeningarts.com/music/general_theory/species/menu.htm

Anatomy of a Fugue:
https://www.kunstderfuge.com/theory/smith/anatomy.htm

A bit of fun now:

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline lizardb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 10:12:03 PM
Hi
I am a teacher who has just finished writing a counterpoint text to prepare students for the Royal Conservatory of Music counterpoint exam.  My book is based on the most recent syllabus and it comes with an answer key.  It would be suitable for class study or independent study.  For more information, please go to understandingcounterpoint.com.
E. Colpitts
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert