Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Key Stiffness  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Plunki

• PS Silver Member
Key Stiffness
on: July 23, 2004, 03:58:46 AM
Hello, I just found this forum a few days ago, and have been reading lots of posts (mainly on repertoire). I just started getting back into piano after a short hiatus (couple of years).

now onto my question:
when i go to the piano and try to play a fairly fast peice, or play for an extended period of time, my fingers and arms get tired/sore. My piano has very stiff keys compared to other pianos i have played on. I am just wondering if it is easy, or even possible to lighten the touch of my piano, and if it is worth it? or should i simply tough it out, and become accustom to the harder keys?

Offline Babcock

• PS Silver Member
Re: Key Stiffness
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 05:29:16 AM
Assuming that your piano action is moving freely, that is, there are no parts that are sticking or binding and in  need of lubrication or repair, it may be that your piano has an unusually heavy action.  This can be changed by adding weights in the keys in front of the balance point.  You should also check that the hammers are sized correctly for the design of your piano.  If they are too large, they can contribute to the problem.  

Pain can also be caused by tension that may not be caused by the weight of your keys but by the way you play.  Pain is not good.  No pain is gain!

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 06:01:05 AM
After two years of not playing the piano, you are bound to experience these problems. Your playing apparatus simply has to get used to the activity again. I don't think it's the heavy action and/or lack of strength, rather lack of coordination. Take it easy for a while, build up your speed slowly and gradually. Make sure you are always in full control and that everything is well coordinated. You should be back to normal in a couple months.

Offline Plunki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 11:50:36 PM
alright, thanks for the replys guys

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 02:27:59 AM
Many people prefer to play on stiffer keyboards because it develops technique and makes lighter keys on other pianos a breeze to play.

JK

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 01:56:58 AM
I agree with donjuan, my teachers' piano has a very stiff action, although at first I found it hard to play after a while I got used to it and now it's not too much of a problem. The advantage is that it really makes you work hard and get into the key bed as well as building strength etc. also it can help you to relax when playing as this is often the only way to play a piano with a stiff action.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert