Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Are Op 116-1 and Op 116-7 by Brahms as difficult as Chopin's Op 10-4 or Op 10-12  (Read 3619 times)

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Hello

Do you people know those caprices by Brahms?
Do you think they are as difficult as Chopin's Op 10-4 or Op 10-12?

Thanks

The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
I play all the Brahms op. 116, and I play the Chopin Etudes you mentioned. They are very difficult pieces for different reasons. The Chopin Etudes are for obvious reasons. Upon first impression, the Brahms did not appear so difficult - "just" a lot of sound and passion - but get into it and (especially in nos. 1 and 7) you are presented with so many problems! The rhythmic hemiola, the big legato sound, articulation (yeah, see those rests and staccato notes?), pedalling...took me a while to put them all together, and even now it's still somehow not quite right!

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
More opinions?
The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Should I learn Op116-7 first?

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline blairkim

• PS Silver Member
yeah, I totally agree with Progated. Op.116 seems not hard when people look at the score, however, it requires lots of things like polyrhythms,phrasing, rests, pedaling....etc. You will learn many things from op.116.  ;D

Offline blairkim

• PS Silver Member
oh, I forgot to say that if you have time, play op.116 no.1-7. You will never regret!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert