Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Distance learning  (Read 1566 times)

Offline dennis.it

• PS Silver Member
Distance learning
on: October 11, 2010, 10:22:54 AM
Hi all,

To make a long story short, I can't afford lessons anymore till our financial situation, around the first months of 2011, improves. I'm a 5 ABSRM level and I really don't want to halt my progress and stop learning.

I think I can learn on my own, after all that's what I do anytime a piece is assigned to me, but I can't do it alone. I mean I still need feedbacks from someone more advanced, as well as tips on techniques or sound and some mistake checking.

So I need someone who can keep me going and I thought maybe someone here would agree to become my distance "teacher". Not in a formal way and you doesn't have to be a teacher, just someone more advanced than me that can help me with some constant feedback. We could arrange something via skype or email.

What's in it for you?
I can't pay you right now but I promise I will reward your effort as soon as my financial situation gets better. Besides this and the chance to give an helping hand, you can test your teaching skill and experiment with a distance-teaching format that might work in future with other students.

Please, let me know

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Re: Distance learning
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:37:55 AM
Post some videos here.  You'll get plenty of advice (most of it conflicting) that you can discuss.

Offline dennis.it

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 11:09:37 AM
But now that I am without a teacher I don't even know what pieces to attempt, what techniques to learn and so on. It's of little use to post old pieces I have already perfected under the guidance of my teacher. I need someone assigning me piece and giving me technical suggestions of the basis of what he/she lerned himsefl/herself when at a lower grade like me.

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:50:56 AM
Ok then - do a Mazurka from op 6 or 7.

Offline dennis.it

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 09:50:21 PM
Ok then - do a Mazurka from op 6 or 7.

what angle should I film myself at?

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 05:36:41 AM
We need to see your elbows and shoulders (and obviously your fingers/keyboard).

Offline urlicht

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:23:41 PM
I'd be willing to give some critique. Yes, post some youtube videos.
Check out https://privio.net - Business software for private music teachers
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert