Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Do you watch the Chopin piano competition online...  (Read 1900 times)

Offline tsveti

• PS Silver Member
Do you watch the Chopin piano competition online...
on: October 13, 2010, 04:49:31 PM
... and do you have favourite pianist for the first prize?  :) I find it incredible  ::) Most of the participants are very high skilled (although not everyone  ;) ) I have my personal favourite - Andrew Tyson, USA. I like him for his touché and the way he is listening to himself - it's just amazing... Of course, this is only second stage, but still :)

Offline mwhite

• PS Silver Member
Re: Do you watch the Chopin piano competition online...
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:04:15 PM
Tyson is my favorite also so far.
Mike

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:39:14 PM
Mike Tyson.  Hmmm...

Offline alessandro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 12:48:08 PM
Yes.   And one of the reasons I'm watching is the participation of Evgeni Bozhanov.   Wonderful show.   Saw him yesterday in walzes, oh man, what a pianist ! What a sound ! Beyond words.   And public likes him too.   I've followed his performance here in Belgium in the Queen Elisabeth-contest, he ended second, though he was my favourite.   I firmly believe that he should win this time, it would surprise me that there is someone as unique and extravagant and adventurous as he is.   I think he also ended second in Van Cliburn.   Maybe he is an eternal second place.   I'm a big fan of him.   He received a that long applause yesterday that he came back four times on stage.  I think Claire Huangci is also a nice personality.   But my favourite is Bozhanov.
Kindly.

Offline tsveti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 01:14:06 PM
Evgeni Bozhanov, yes. I know him since he was little - we've met on a competition I think... ::) Anyway, the show he is making is really wonderful :) So much acting.. For me it's just too much. As for his interpretation - nothing's left unsaid :)

Claire Huangci - I can't remember her at all... I'll search for her.

There is one name that I realized I had forgotten the first time I wrote this topic - Pawel Wakarecy (hope I'm not misspelling the name). When he performs there is nothing unnecessary, nothing overexposed, and yet, there is everything - there is drama, there is music, there is technique, there is a meaning. Wonderful pianist.

Watching closely the competition leaves me the impression too many wonderful pianist are counting too much on the show... Waving hands, making pantomime... Why is this necessary? I'm sure it got nothing to do with good sound, good touch, good interpretation... I just can't get this.

Anyway, amazing competition :) I'm anxious to see the finals :)

Offline alessandro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 02:08:48 PM
When I started the live-streaming yesterday, I heard music and I heard extremely captivating, modern, abstract, expressionistic music, it took me like 10-15 seconds before I realized that I was listening to music of Chopin (in this case it was a Mazurka) played by Bozghanov Evgeni.  That is what I like about him, I don't mind the mimics and the show, no, I even like it.   And indeed, the music of Chopin, is probably a very fertile ground for letting deep feelings, and expressiveness sprout.  I think it is for the same reasons (his very risky and unconventional approach of romantic music) that he has his ennemies.   Some people think one should remain faithfull to the context of the score and not take too many liberties.  I think a have a more simple point of view; as long as its beautiful, I'm a fan.

Kindly.

Offline avetma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 08:03:59 PM
(Fedorova), Khozyainov, Avdeeva.

Offline tsveti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 08:23:10 PM
When I started the live-streaming yesterday, I heard music and I heard extremely captivating, modern, abstract, expressionistic music, it took me like 10-15 seconds before I realized that I was listening to music of Chopin (in this case it was a Mazurka) played by Bozghanov Evgeni.  That is what I like about him, I don't mind the mimics and the show, no, I even like it.   And indeed, the music of Chopin, is probably a very fertile ground for letting deep feelings, and expressiveness sprout.  I think it is for the same reasons (his very risky and unconventional approach of romantic music) that he has his ennemies.   Some people think one should remain faithfull to the context of the score and not take too many liberties.  I think a have a more simple point of view; as long as its beautiful, I'm a fan.

Kindly.

I believe an interpreter should follow the composer's style, like one should always consider time period and so on, and so on... Cause after all, a pianist is an interpreter, not a composer, and as long as one's performing other else compositions, he/she should follow the author's will. I'm not an enemy, I just wanted to share my thoughts with the members of the forum (because I'm knew here, just wanted to see what other people think).

P.S. 'Beautiful' is different to every other person :)

Offline aaron_ginn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 09:18:02 PM
Tyson was my favorite as well.  Alas, I think he was too non-traditional for the judges and critics.  They all seem to want Rubinstein clones.  Any individuality is criticized.  Tyson is a technically superior pianist.  His playing is just effervescent and effortless.  I think he'd do well in the Van Cliburn competition where more freedom is given to the performers.

Offline avetma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 10:31:12 PM
Tyson was my favorite as well.  Alas, I think he was too non-traditional for the judges and critics.  They all seem to want Rubinstein clones.  Any individuality is criticized.  Tyson is a technically superior pianist.  His playing is just effervescent and effortless.  I think he'd do well in the Van Cliburn competition where more freedom is given to the performers.

You know, I don't like potato without salt. But if I put a three kg of salt on it - it will be as awful as it was without salt. There is something called tradition, and you can't play Chopin like an improvisation. There ARE some rules, you must obey. Otherwise, it would be enough to know how to read sheet music, and all the studying would be meaningless.

For my taste, Avdeeva was fantastic example in being interesting, but never boring or to salted.

Offline tsveti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 10:01:25 AM
I missed the finals... I can't believe I did...

Tyson was my favorite as well.  Alas, I think he was too non-traditional for the judges and critics.  They all seem to want Rubinstein clones.  Any individuality is criticized.  Tyson is a technically superior pianist.  His playing is just effervescent and effortless.  I think he'd do well in the Van Cliburn competition where more freedom is given to the performers.

I agree completely... I was so disappointed, I somehow got distracted and missed the finals :)

You know, I don't like potato without salt. But if I put a three kg of salt on it - it will be as awful as it was without salt. There is something called tradition, and you can't play Chopin like an improvisation. There ARE some rules, you must obey. Otherwise, it would be enough to know how to read sheet music, and all the studying would be meaningless.

For my taste, Avdeeva was fantastic example in being interesting, but never boring or to salted.

Unfortunately, tradition may end, in my opinion, with crash and burn... For me Avdeeva was perfect, but... a little bit boring. She did everything one should expect... Maybe tradition is just too much for me already :)

Offline ace_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 03:39:18 PM
Hi, everyone,where can i watch the competition online?which website?
Thank you

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 05:17:08 PM
The competition is over.  :o

Offline thinkgreenlovepiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 10:59:41 PM
Hi, everyone,where can i watch the competition online?which website?
Thank you
It's over, but there's a video archive on here:
https://konkurs.chopin.pl/en/edition/xvi/video/archive

happy listening!
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
~Leopold Stokowski

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 08:02:16 AM
Thanks!  very strange.  Amongst all those contenders, there was not one German.

Offline ace_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 02:01:02 PM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert