Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin or LIszt?  (Read 7541 times)

Offline m2r

• PS Silver Member
Chopin or LIszt?
on: October 23, 2010, 01:22:45 AM
who is better Chopin or Liszt i think Liszt, the Hungarian Rhapsody is imposible to beat!!

Offline musiklover96

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin or LIszt?
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 03:05:27 AM
all composers have certain strengths in various areas
however, as for personal preference, i love chopin
Currently playing:
Beethoven - Appassionata Sonata
Chopin - Nocturne Op 27 No 2
Chopin - Ballade No 2
Chopin - Etude 'Winter Wind'
Debussy - Jardins sous la pluie
Ravel - Sonatine

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 03:48:10 AM
hay no alkan is bettar than both lol

Offline shaulhadar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 05:33:09 AM
Nice question you go there, but i think it is a question of taste. I myself and a Chopin man, but i have a lot of admiration and respect for Liszt as well.  In my opinion, Liszt's pieces are more technically demanding that Chopin's but i find them a bit lacking in coherence sometimes, and Chopin's music is like a straight injection to the soul :).
I have an enormous craving for Chopin's music, which is unusual for most normal and not normal people out there.

https://chopin-opus.66ghz.com/

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 05:33:50 AM
Can't there be some new rule about this? "no 'who is the best', or similar,posts"

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 09:16:52 AM
This belongs into the "Polls" section of the Piano Board.

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 09:56:23 AM
who is better Chopin or Liszt i think Liszt, the Hungarian Rhapsody is imposible to beat!!

You must listen to many more repertoire to enlarge your vision. I personally don't like questions as "who is better" (I also agree with Pianisten1989, this threads must be forbidden  :D ) In arts things are not black and white :)

By the way, there's much more Liszt than "the Hungarian Rhapsody" (I guess you refer to the better known one, the second).   :)

Liszt pieces are more technically demanding that Chopin's

I disagree. Chopin is, in my opinion, as demanding as Liszt. They are just different. Which arpeggios are more demanding, those on Chopin's OP 10 no 11 or those in Liszt's "Harmonies du Soir"? How about Chopin's Op 10 nº 2? Aren't Chopin's Scherzi nos 1 and 3 as physically demanding as any work by Liszt such as Mephisto?  :)

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 12:05:16 PM
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline pocho

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 06:18:09 PM
This belongs into the "Polls" section of the Piano Board.

This belongs in the trash.

Offline shaulhadar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 05:37:03 AM
I disagree. Chopin is, in my opinion, as demanding as Liszt. They are just different. Which arpeggios are more demanding, those on Chopin's OP 10 no 11 or those in Liszt's "Harmonies du Soir"? How about Chopin's Op 10 nº 2? Aren't Chopin's Scherzi nos 1 and 3 as physically demanding as any work by Liszt such as Mephisto?  :)

Hi there pianist 1976.  Maybe what i wrote was not really understood. What i meant. was that in my book Chopin is better, and it means i have much more respect to his music, and i think it is harder thank Liszt's, but not necessarily in the technical area.  Don't get me wrong man, i can play most of Chopin's difficult pieces and i can play Liszt's Mephisto waltz, and Hungarian rhapsody no. 2 and more.  And in my humble opinion, in most of the oeuvre of Liszt is more technically demanding, but Chopin's music is not less demanding technically and much more demanding mentally, so in my book that is better. But i assume that it's also a matter of experience. Because i have an enormous fetish for Chopin's music, i play it for years, and maybe his music "seems" maybe a little bit easier than Liszt's, but again, only in the technical area.  Did you try to play the Mephisto waltz?, it is extremely hard, especially the end, but i don't think it can compare with any of Chopin's music mentally..... anyhow i hope you understood me now, i appreciate you thoughts about this. have a great day. :)
I have an enormous craving for Chopin's music, which is unusual for most normal and not normal people out there.

https://chopin-opus.66ghz.com/

Offline etudebasher

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 12:24:40 PM
They are both different, both have some really nice pieces and both are great.

Offline lisztomaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 01:06:48 AM
Liszt's music is amazing technically and musically.  Chopin is extremely subtle. I don't know who is better :)

Offline ponken

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 01:01:35 PM
There will never be a correct or incorrect answer to such a question. It's a matter of taste. I personally enjoy Chopin's music more but that doesn't mean that Chopin is "better".

Offline ivorybabe247

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 02:04:54 AM
Chopin reached a larger audience than Listz, because Listz is an aquired taste.

On a technical scale when you look at the biography of Chopin's life, dying at 30 and being the only piano specific composer, i think Chopin trumps Listz.

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 03:30:12 AM
Chopin died at 39 (I think your finger just slipped, that's fine). And he was definitely not the only "mostly-keyboard" composer (in fact, another one was mentioned in this very thread).

Offline 54545

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 10:26:00 PM
I think Chopin is the better composer since almost all of his works are popular amoung pianists and listeners alike.

Liszt is the better musician though since he has contributed to music more than Chopin via his exploration of different scales and being more experimental.

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 06:13:56 PM
both are tremendously important. let's drop this topic right NOW
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Pictures at an Exhibition
Beethoven Pathetique sonata
Schumann Papilions

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 06:30:01 PM
both are tremendously important. let's drop this topic right NOW

No one had posted to this topic for over three months until you revived it.
What passes you ain't for you.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert