Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Nocturne #8, op27, 2  (Read 5809 times)

Offline stefanelya

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Nocturne #8, op27, 2
on: November 03, 2010, 09:37:41 PM
This is one of my favorite nocturnes. Hope the sound quality is all right. Thank you.

Offline solstyce

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Nocturne #8, op27, 2
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 01:18:05 AM
Well, you work pretty well with thirds. :P I would have done the 5 differently, and I really didn't like the roll you did at the beggining. But i won't criticize to much, im still struggling with it a little.

Offline stefanelya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 04:57:20 AM
Thanks. Any suggestions are appreciated since I'm still working on this piece.

Offline wiggityp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:16:48 AM
Sounds good overall, you have some nice dynamic control and sensitivities in there. I might suggest trying for more legato in the left hand, particularly during the main theme. However that could also be an issue with the recording or, more likely I think, the instrument you're using. I'm guessing it's an upright? It sounds kind of thin in the lower register. Also I'd heartily invest in a new method of recording if you have the means. I would suggest an Edirol hand held digital recorder as can be purchased here-
https://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Edirol-R09HR-24bit96KHz-WAVMP3-Recorder?sku=245003
It's got great sound for a small reasonably priced package. I have the older model the R-09 and it's great, I'm sure this is even better. Your good enough, if possible try and get some higher quality audio samples for us to listen, probably on a different instrument. Keep up the good work.
"Do you think I worry about your damn fiddle when the spirit speaks to me?"

Offline stefanelya

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 08:23:54 PM
Thank you. My instrument is an old console Wurlitzer, that is true, the sound board is not in the best condition. Some legato in the left hand probably would not hurt to improve either. Thank you for the advice. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert