Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: site reading and dynamics  (Read 1549 times)

Offline tenderland

• PS Silver Member
site reading and dynamics
on: November 06, 2010, 06:26:13 PM
Helo,

Just a quick question, When  site reading or reading a piece for the first time should one focus on the dynamics and phrasing along with the notes or just the notes? I usualy do both and realy get caught up in trying to play everything perfect which grinds down the pace.

tenderland

Offline lalag

• PS Silver Member
Re: site reading and dynamics
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:55:26 PM
I think it works better if you do not concern yourself too much with dynamics when sightreading, and can wait until you have it memorized or almost memorized before you try to perfect that side of it. At least that's what works better for me.

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 03:32:37 PM
I think you're right to include dynamics, that is after all how the music 'goes'.  Do it slower if you have to.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 04:16:30 PM
Mozart said, sight-reading means playing at sight EVERYTHING - including dynamics and musical feeling (phrasing).   ::)

Offline ask_why

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:24:04 PM
You shouldn't practice anything without the dynamics, they're just as much a part of the music as the notes themselves.  You'll also have a much more difficult time performing the piece properly if you practice without dynamics then try to add them later. 

Offline mcdiddy1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 05:47:49 PM
The more experience you have in sight-reading, the more natural it is to include everything in your reading. I am a pretty strong sight-reader and I naturally play dynamics and phrasing because of experience tells me when to do some. When I sight-read I encompass everything I can observe about the piece, the title , dynamics, expressive markings, tempo, difficult measures. There is also a visualization and expectiation I see in the music of what it should sound like and what it should feel like. I think if your head voice of the music is strong and knowledge of music is deep certain things you can anticipate evern when your sight-reading
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert