Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Apocalyptic music?  (Read 5616 times)

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Apocalyptic music?
on: November 08, 2010, 06:26:11 PM
I know this seems like an odd question, but would any of you happen to be familiar with musical works (any instrumentation) which are intended to depict anything apocalypse-related? (This is for a writing seminar on apocalyptic thought.)
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Apocalyptic music?
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 07:36:49 PM
What comes first to mind: Messiaen's Quartet for the end of time.
Sofia Gubaidulina has used parts of the revelation as a counterpoint in her works "St. John Easter"
and "St. John Passion"

https://media.sikorski.de/media/files/1/12/190/236/300/4700/gubaidulina_werkverzeichnis.pdf

I have actually myself a project on Apocalypse, but that's not even in the phase of scetches and drafts. But I am sure it will happen :)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 07:25:14 AM
Symphony No. 9, Beethoven.  Deep waters.  It's more than a symphony.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:15:13 PM
Scriabin's Vers la Flamme is another (at least according to Horowitz).

*Checks computer music library*

Penderecki's Threnody

Scriabin's Mysterium (sadly, it is unfinished)

Dies Irae  ;D

Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time is another apocalyptic work.

Any of the famous requiems will do just fine (be it Mozart's, Verdi's or Berlioz's).

Ligeti's 13th Piano Etude is yet another work you might want to look at.

The ending of Wagner's Ring cycle is a "mini apocalypse", if that is enough for you.  ;)

And last but not least, the ending of Sorabji's Opus Clavicembalisticum  ;D (in light of its dedication  :P).

That's all I can think of find on my computer.  :P

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:11:53 PM
Franz Schmidt's oratorio, 'Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln' is quite literally apocalytpic.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 05:19:43 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions! What do you guys think of a sort of "history" of Dies Irae and its use in (western classical) music? It can't actually be very "technical" paper, since this isn't for a music class.
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert