Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Who likes Jeux D'eau?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline wiggityp

• PS Silver Member
Who likes Jeux D'eau?
on: November 09, 2010, 09:34:13 AM
Who doesn't? If you don't--then go away.

I love it, have not played it yet, but have listened to it several times now by various performers, my two favorites thus far being:

1) Richter

2)Argerich

Now, I'm usually biased towards Richter, and I think this is a phenomenal recording of his, but Argerich is...well, Argerich. I think that she is amazing in this recording, her technique is so relaxed, her hands just seem to glide horizontally, gentle and steady as hummingbirds. However, at a few points (e.g. 4:30 ish) I think here dynamic transitions are a little blunt for my taste. I think they should flow a little more aqueously. But overall, excellent a joy to watch.

Richter, as per usual, just has superlative supremacy over his instrument in this video. Truly he's in the height of his powers here. He takes it a little faster tempo than Argerich which I think works for the most part, although it felt just a tad rushed at some of the climatic middle trills and that large glissando in there. But his colorings and texture at moments like 00:40ish-00:48ish and the section around 3:20--truly sound like the colors and feelings of the sea. And the ending just rocks you away on a mellow warm tide. I think overall I'd go with Richter. But, does anyone know of any later Argerich Jeux D'eau recordings? I'd be very interested to hear any. But supremely interested to hear any and all related thoughts on any of this Jeux D'eau business that I'm so taken with.
"Do you think I worry about your damn fiddle when the spirit speaks to me?"