Piano Forum

Topic: Haydn- Sonata in D Major, 1st Mov.  (Read 6885 times)

Offline sarahkw

• PS Silver Member
Haydn- Sonata in D Major, 1st Mov.
on: November 22, 2010, 04:40:27 AM
I've been playing this piece for about 2 months. I have heard many different recordings of people playing it, each with their own rendition. I guess this is my interpretation of the piece but I am looking for ideas and comments on my phrasing, dynamics, and tempo.

Am I playing the piece at too slow of a tempo (120)?

Comments, questions, and criticism; any type of response is greatly appreciated as I will be performing this in a few weeks.

After considering your advice I will post another recording to listen for improvement. 

Thanks!   

Sarah

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Haydn- Sonata in D Major, 1st Mov.
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 05:30:00 AM
First, welcome to pianostreet, and I hope you feel welcome on this board. Your Haydn is absolutely wonderful and gives me great pleasure. I *love* the tempo; you do wonderfully with it. The second theme with the ornamentation I think could be played with more humor and a less sustained attack...a more hopping strut in its step. I'm not sure really how to describe it...it's the irresistible clever nature of a theme which brings me such joy. I'd feel bad commenting on dynamics, for I'm afraid the recorder's limitations mixed with me computer speaker's limitations fail to give a proper picture.

I LOVE HAYDN! I'm at the moment overcome with this thought at the hand of your happy performance. I'll say again, I could not be more satisfied with your tempo.

Dave
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Re: Haydn- Sonata in D Major, 1st Mov.
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 07:18:03 AM
This piece makes me HAPPY, too! I agree with furtwaengler on everything. The tempo is great. You could try playing it with a more 'playful' and light touch.

In bars 4 and 8, it feels like you are resting for too long. I'm not sure if it is intentional, but I feel that is sounds best played the way it is written. And, if I'm not mistaken, those rests are very short ones.

In bars 9-14, I play each measure with a slight < > dynamic in both hands. Oh, with the exception of the downbeat - that I play that with an accent.

Another tiny suggestion is when it says to play ff: the part where the LH plays a D# octave, followed by octaves F#, D#, C, A, F#, and D#. Play the RH softer and bring out the LH (ff). Likewise, play the E octave in the following measure ff, but play the arpeggio a little more quietly (mf). I'm not claiming this to the 'correct' way to play this part, it is just the way I interpret it and I am only offering it as a suggestion. :)

I have always loved this Haydn Sonata, and I enjoyed listening to you play it. Great job!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert