Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: The legality of linking  (Read 1737 times)

Offline getitdone1

• PS Silver Member
The legality of linking
on: December 05, 2010, 07:13:07 PM
Is posting links to this group to copyrighted performances (in this case, piano performances) illegal?

Too, it's often impossible to know for sure if a performance is copyrighted.

I read that linking is NOT copying therefore there is no copyright infringement.  But, I read if you link to a performance that has been illegally copied--KNOWINGLY--you have then committed copyright infringement.

Can anyone here shed some light on this topic? 

What is this forums policy regarding it's members posting links HERE to musical performances on the internet--especially, YouTube?
Don

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: The legality of linking
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 08:58:54 PM
Haha... Interesting.  I wonder what Nils will say.

I've wondered about the Youtube posts but there is so much on there.  (And I'm glad it is on there.  Some of that I would never have found or run across otherwise.)

I'm guessing Nils doesn't take that stuff down.  Youtube must deal with that.  But I have seen Nils remove links to sites that have copyrighted PDFs or images or music.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 10:35:41 AM
Yes, it can be illegal to link to copyrighted material. The forum policy is that links to illegally published material are not allowed. In the case of YouTube which is owned by Google one can assume, as Bob mentions, they deal with it but links to obvious copyright infringements on YouTube may be removed from the forum.

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 12:50:13 AM
Is posting links to this group to copyrighted performances (in this case, piano performances) illegal?

I understand why some people are concerned over this, but just how many times have you heard about the RIAA being concerned over classical music and copyright infringements? They go after people who pirate the big money musicians, so I think you are safe here.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert