Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Liszt - Totentanz CADENZA...  (Read 7455 times)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Liszt - Totentanz CADENZA...
on: December 08, 2010, 02:13:40 AM
I'm trying to find out a small cadenza like passage that has not been included in the music I have bought. After hearing Valentina Lisitsa play the Totentanz, I figured I want to give it a go.

However, there is a small passage in this video:

...between 14:02 and 14:22 (not long) that she plays, that is not included in my music. My version skips right over it.

Is there anyone who can help me find just that cadenza passage? I would be seriously grateful.

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt - Totentanz CADENZA...
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 07:15:38 AM
As far as I know, all of the spots that are marked "cadenza" in Totentanz are either supposed to be improvised or otherwise provided by the soloist, like in the Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 03:06:16 PM
But it fits so well - so well it doesn't sound like a cadenza - it just seems to flow so well, unlike an improvised cadenza...

Can anyone confim that this is just Lisitsa improvising?

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 01:44:02 PM
I really need some confirmation here...

I have looked through the score and it does not state that it is a cadenza point, so I'm either assuming - the sheet music I have is just plain crap, or I've got like a first version edition before Liszt revised the piece later on in life.

Is there ANYONE that can help me - seriously - I'm desperate.

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:10:33 PM
If you want answers, try your request on Pianophilia, for those folks are much smarter in this sort of field than here:

https://www.pianophilia.com/phpBB3/index.php

You might even get your request for sheetmusic filled.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:53:20 PM
She appears to be attempting to play both parts of the 4 hand version (glissandi and chords on pages 132 & 133) and then going back to a earlier section of the 2 hand version (page numbered 4), perhaps slightly changed.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:48:25 AM
Thanks retrouvailles, thal.

Well that's one piece of the puzzle solved... now all I need is to try and get the last bit.

Thanks for that. I wonder why Liszt didn't put that part into the solo piano transcription.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert