Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Sheet music : Hungarian Rhapsody n°2 (Franz Liszt)  (Read 6177 times)

Offline gorgonzola89

• PS Silver Member
Sheet music : Hungarian Rhapsody n°2 (Franz Liszt)
on: December 23, 2010, 10:52:51 PM
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to learn how to play this wonderful music, but I have some problems in this part :

https://www.screencast.com/users/gorgonzola/folders/Jing/media/779015fc-ac7e-42a1-80cc-c27882c0d4a4

Can you please help by showing me how to play it ?

Thanks for paying attention.

Offline gorgonzola89

• PS Silver Member
Re: Sheet music : Hungarian Rhapsody n°2 (Franz Liszt)
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 12:55:24 AM
Help please !

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 02:43:38 AM
I wasn't sure what you were asking, and others who read your post were probably wondering the same thing.  I'll take a stab at answering the question, but perhaps you will clarify what problem is.

For the left hand, you'll need to arpeggiate the notes unless you have a very large hand span.  Catch the lower one (G♯) with the pedal.

For the chord in the right hand, use the thumb on F♯ and G♯, 2 on the B♯, 4 on E and 5 on the higher G♯.  Play the D♯ with 3.
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:29:48 AM
As said above, arpeggio the left hand and use thumb for the F#G# on the right hand.

And, good luck with the rest of this piece, if this is giving you troubles already :p
1+1=11

Offline 54545

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 03:43:22 PM
I'm learning the same piece and am at the same area that you are in. In terms of the left hand, you will have do an arpeggio. use finger 5 (pinky) to play the G-sharp and the finger 1 (thumb) to play the B-sharp.

The right hand is a bit more complicated. I use finger 1 (thumb) to play both the F-sharp and the G-sharp, finger 2 to play B-sharp, finger 3 for E natural and finger 5 for high G-sharp (you can try finger 4 for the high G-sharp if your hands can handle it).

I would also recommend you use a different edition if possible. The one you are using is Rafael Joseffy's edition. His edition does not agree with the autograph and the first edition. I would recommend either the New Liszt edition edited by Zoltán Gárdonyi or the Liszt-Stiftung edition edited by Peter Raabe. Both editions can be found on www.imslp.org
You should use the Joseffy's edition for fingering only since the other two editions I suggested do not provide any. 

Hope this helps

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 04:17:16 PM
nm

Offline gorgonzola89

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 11:54:15 PM
I'm learning the same piece and am at the same area that you are in. In terms of the left hand, you will have do an arpeggio. use finger 5 (pinky) to play the G-sharp and the finger 1 (thumb) to play the B-sharp.

The right hand is a bit more complicated. I use finger 1 (thumb) to play both the F-sharp and the G-sharp, finger 2 to play B-sharp, finger 3 for E natural and finger 5 for high G-sharp (you can try finger 4 for the high G-sharp if your hands can handle it).

I would also recommend you use a different edition if possible. The one you are using is Rafael Joseffy's edition. His edition does not agree with the autograph and the first edition. I would recommend either the New Liszt edition edited by Zoltán Gárdonyi or the Liszt-Stiftung edition edited by Peter Raabe. Both editions can be found on www.imslp.org
You should use the Joseffy's edition for fingering only since the other two editions I suggested do not provide any. 

Hope this helps

Thank you. Your tips really helpd me.

I will try Raabe's edition.

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 12:11:53 AM
I especially like the suggestion to use 4 on that higher G-sharp.  Let us know how it works!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert