Rock
1 (2.9%)
Rap/Hip-Hop
0 (0%)
etc.
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Favourite Era or Peiod  (Read 2014 times)

Offline m2r

• PS Silver Member
Favourite Era or Peiod
on: January 04, 2011, 01:57:09 AM
I'm interested in the diversity of likings for styles or types of music.  So i just want to know what your favourite is. If you would like you can leave a comment stating your favourite composers or artists from that period.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Favourite Era or Peiod
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:54:27 AM
You're bound to get compliants on your categories.

I'll go with late Romantic, so picked Romantic.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline m2r

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:44:21 AM
I figured I'd recieve complaints but music is what a person enjoys not nessisarily my point of view.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:34:01 PM
Can't argue with that.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline bigswifty

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:18:53 AM
I think the most stimulating stuff came with contemporary composers like Stravinsky and Varèse. In the late 20th century, Zappa did some really interesting things too. Especially with the Ensemble Modern. Everybody here should listen to Ruth is Sleeping from The Yellow Shark. He wrote that on the Synclavier originally, and for only one pianist. He later arranged it for two pianists. Then, when working with Zappa on The Yellow Shark, Ali N. Askin arranged the original synclavier-produced arrangement for two pianists. It is apparantly one of the hardest piano solos written (posssibly due to the fact it was written for a computer which is not limited by lack of skill).

Offline musicluvr49

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 01:25:11 AM
I have to go with Romantic as my favorite era. Not neccesarily because its the best, but I just love the harmony, and different things that happened with music in that time.
Currently:
Chopin Grand Valse Brilliante
Mozart Piano Sonata K 332
Scriabin Preludes Op 11 no.5,6,7
Bach Prelude and Fugue in G minor

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:46:51 AM
I think the most stimulating stuff came with contemporary composers like Stravinsky and Varèse.

Stravinsky died in 1971 and Varèse in 1965. It's been a long time since then, so in my opinion they must not be considered our contemporaries nor their music is contemporary  :)

And I agree with Zappa: he is an amazingly good "classical/cult" music composer (sorry for the stereotypes, I made it to differentiate from pop/rock music). His music took the attention of no ore, no less than a great musician as Boulez (!)

Offline bigswifty

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:06:29 AM
Stravinsky died in 1971 and Varèse in 1965. It's been a long time since then, so in my opinion they must not be considered our contemporaries nor their music is contemporary
I assumed that we were talking about contemporary classical (what I understood to have been music post-1945). If you'd prefer, I could replace Stravinsky and Varèse with Penderecki and Stockhausen in that list. Or even John Shuttleworth. He's the Shakespeare of the modern day.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 09:33:14 AM
I like romantic, contemporary and etc, which is dance pop, electrohouse and so on.
Funny? How? How am I funny?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert