Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff Prelude!!  (Read 3012 times)

Offline swenghk

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninoff Prelude!!
on: January 04, 2011, 10:04:04 PM
Would Rachmaninoff's Prelude in G Minor be considered a 20th century piece? It as composed in 1901.

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninoff Prelude!!
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:43:15 AM
Haven't you kind of answered your own question there?
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:29:19 AM
it depends if the definition of 20th century piece is something that was composed in the 20th century, or something that sounds like it was written by a "modernist" (clearly I'm using that term loosely).  if the definition is the first, you're good to go; if not, this is clearly not a "20th century piece."

either way this is a great bit of music!

Offline swenghk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:21:41 AM
Well I'm wondering because for my college audition I have to play a 20th century piece, and I don't know if they mean very literally or if they mean stylistically.

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:27:49 AM
If they say 20th Century then they would mean anything written within the 20th Century which this piece is.  Considering the C20th split off into sooo many different strands, if they wanted something specific, they would have asked for it - such as 'a contemporary work' or something 'written after 1970'.
You shouldn't have a problem, and if you do, you have a very valid argument!  Just make sure the rest of the program is varied enough!
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 11:55:45 AM
Dont they have tutors at that college who might actually have the answer for you? ;)
1+1=11

Offline john11inc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 12:13:39 PM
Just ask.

Although, even if they say that it is acceptable, I'd suggest against it.  They're probably looking for something more contemporary than that.  Rzewski and Bartok are common choices for a "20th Century" requirement for an entrance exam; look into them.
If this work is so threatening, it is not because it's simply strange, but competent, rigorously argued and carrying conviction.

-Jacques Derrida

https://www.youtube.com/user/john11inch

Offline emilye

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 03:08:56 PM
Would Rachmaninoff's Prelude in G Minor be considered a 20th century piece? It as composed in 1901.

I had the same problem. My teacher told me and different teachers in my school that this work is a 20th century piece. Not like Schonberg pieces but it's a 20th cent. work.
Now playing:
Prokofiev - Sonate in d-minor op. 14
Bach/Busoni - Chaccone in d-minor
Bach - II Partita in c-minor
F. Chopin - Barcarole in F sharp major, Op. 60
                Ballade in f-minor

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 09:53:31 PM
Stylistically, although Rachmaninoff composed in the 20th century, he is considered a Late Romantic, not a Modern composer.  This is not at all an oddity.  There were other strong-minded composers who lived and composed into the 20th century who were well aware of the trend toward Modernism, but who ignored it and continued to compose in the romantic vain. They adamantly believed that the possibilities for tonal music had not been exhausted during the Romantic Age, embraced that heritage, and continued along that path. They were also considered Late Romantics like Rachmaninoff.  (By the way, Debussy began as a Late Romantic composer but later shifted into Impressionism.) Good examples would be Medtner, Bortkiewicz, Catoire, Blumenfeld, Bax, Liadov, Liapunov, Ireland, Bridge, etc., and in the orchestral realm Mahler, Ricard Strauss, Vaugn Williams, etc.  We as pianists owe these composers a great debt, as those who composed for piano left us a wonderful and enriching repertoire.  They were also the point of departure for the Neo-Romantics who came afterward and are with us today.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert