Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Pathetique 2nd mvt.  (Read 2528 times)

Offline fred792k

• PS Silver Member
Pathetique 2nd mvt.
on: February 16, 2011, 08:01:32 PM
Hello.

Could you tell me how difficult the 2nd mvt of Pathetique is compared to Träumerei and Moonlight Sonata mvt 1.

I Can play a minute of the second movement of Pathetique so far, but I don't know, if it's too difficult. What do you think?

Kind regards

Offline krysjez

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pathetique 2nd mvt.
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:43:26 AM
I think you can definitely learn it. Be sure to keep the main melody in mind so it doesn't get lost because of the number of notes.

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:39:04 AM
I think it is more difficult than Traumerei and Moonlight Sonata first movement.
The voicing of the main melody and the balance is the tricky part of the sonata.

Of course, as is mandatory to say, the most difficult thing to do in such an overplayed piece is to provide a fresh interpretation. *shrugs*
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline tunneller

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 01:46:24 AM
Hi, Moonlight Sonata is mostly pp or p, whereas Pathetique 2nd is mostly p or louder.

I'm fairly new to the piano and I find pianissimo very difficult to keep at consistent volume level, smoothness of legato, etc. So for me that makes the Moonlight much more difficult.

Regards, T.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert