Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Muse  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Pumpkinhead

• PS Silver Member
Muse
on: August 07, 2004, 10:47:56 PM
Have any of you guy's heard of this awesome band called Muse? Apparently, they're superstars over in Britain, but no one's heard of them over here in the states. They seem to blend Rock n' Roll with classical music perfectly. They'll rock out, and than the lead singer will bust out some arpegios or something. One thing that blew me away was their full on Piano Concerto, complete with orchestra, halfway through their metal riff. Anyone with the cash oughtta go out and buy Absolution, the best albm EVER.

...no really, you won't be disappointed.

Offline janice

• PS Silver Member
Re: Muse
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 06:59:30 AM
which piano concerto?
Co-president of the Bernhard fan club!

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 07:05:02 AM
Yes, I have heard them.  Though I only have 'Plug in Baby', which is a pretty intense and quite good song.  I didn't hear any classical reflections in it, but it had a good melody.  I have to complain about the singer though - a bit whiny... Did this band become Dashboard Confessional?
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Offline ysn1016

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 04:29:03 PM
You can hear a piano concerto-like section 3-4 minutes into the song "Butterflies and Hurricanes" on their CD "Absolution".  I think the lead singer, Matt Bellamy, began his musical training playing classical piano, and it seems that some songs were inspired by Romantic composers, like Rachmaninoff.
Although they have been accused of sounding like Radiohead (an argument I consider to be mostly inaccurate), they are quite good, but definitely not superior to Radiohead.

Offline Pierre_Bezuhov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 11:32:46 AM
Im a massive muse fan. They are brilliant. Matt bellamy is a very gifted piano player considering he has ahd no formal lessons.

www.muse.mu

If anyone wants a recording that is just this guy playing the piano then let me know. It is called piano thing and was a b side.

Offline comme_le_vent

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 08:24:31 AM
im a muse fan

i dont this there is any ignorance here, just n00bness
https://www.chopinmusic.net/sdc/

Great artists aim for perfection, while knowing that perfection itself is impossible, it is the driving force for them to be the best they can be - MC Hammer

Offline canardroti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 06:24:32 AM
Im a massive muse fan. They are brilliant. Matt bellamy is a very gifted piano player considering he has ahd no formal lessons.

Wrong, he was trained as a classical pianist and had only one single spanish guitar lesson and quit.

Anyway, I dont think the structure of their songs have any classical feeling to it at all.
They're not bad,  I liked the first album, now I don't care much for  them

Offline greyrune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 02:54:13 PM
i agree they were better earlier.  Absolution is alright it's got a couple of wicked songs "Hysteria" is awsome, and that little piano interlude in "Butterflies and Hurricanes" is quite cool even if it doesn't really fit the rest of the song.  Definately no competition for Rahdiohead though, even if Hail to the Theif wasn't that good.
I'll be Bach

Offline justliam

Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 02:08:42 AM
I thought I'd drag this thread out of the darkness since muse have a new album out, and it's possibly the most classically influenced album so far.

The last three tracks (Exogenesis) are called Symphony Part 1,2 and 3, even though it actually bears no resemblance to a symphony whatsoever.  But this is my take on the last track of the album, let me know what you think.

\\\\\\\"That\\\\\\\'s not a gadget Michael, that\\\\\\\'s just monstrous use of a Biro.\\\\\\\"
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert