Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Ravel Concerto in G major or Prokofiev Concerto No.3?  (Read 4607 times)

Offline wilmerguido

• PS Silver Member
I need to pick a concerto to learn for a competition. I also need a contemporary piece, and I wouldn't want to play a contemporary piece composed by the same person who composed my concerto. So... Can you suggest a good combination for the competition.

Concerti:
Ravel in G major
Prokofiev No.3

Contemporary Pieces suggested by my teacher
Ravel Toccata
Ravel Jeux d'eau
Ravel Alborada del Grazioso
Ravel Une barque sur l'ocean
Prokofiev Sonata No.3
Bartok 2 Romanian Dances Op. 8a

If i will play the ravel concerto, I wouldn't want to play the other ravel pieces as my contemporary piece, but then if i will play the prokofiev concerto, I wouldn't want to play the prokofiev sonata anymore. But there's always bartok's romanian dances :)

Offline wilmerguido

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ravel Concerto in G major or Prokofiev Concerto No.3?
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:53:02 AM
oops, my bad.. i should have posted this in the repertoire section :(

Offline bleicher

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:01:46 AM
Does the wording of the competition say 'contemporary'? If so, none of those pieces will do because they're not contemporary. There's not one absolute definition of the word 'contemporary' but it's best to pick a piece by a living composer if they ask for a contemporary piece. If they ask for a 20th-century piece then all of those will be fine, but personally I think it's good to play something by a living composer anyway, because classical music is a valuable living tradition to be continued.

I couldn't possibly choose between Ravel and Prokofiev concertos because they're both wonderful and fantastic and I hope one day to be able to play at one of them. Best of luck!

Offline wilmerguido

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:24:28 AM
Does the wording of the competition say 'contemporary'? If so, none of those pieces will do because they're not contemporary. There's not one absolute definition of the word 'contemporary' but it's best to pick a piece by a living composer if they ask for a contemporary piece. If they ask for a 20th-century piece then all of those will be fine, but personally I think it's good to play something by a living composer anyway, because classical music is a valuable living tradition to be continued.

I couldn't possibly choose between Ravel and Prokofiev concertos because they're both wonderful and fantastic and I hope one day to be able to play at one of them. Best of luck!
I'm sorry, it's supposed to be 20th century :)

Offline brriker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 02:37:52 PM
I think the Prokofief concerto and the Ravel Jeux d'Eau would make a nice contrast.  I just love these 2 pieces that would be my choice personally.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert