Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Eletronic piano that supports USB headphones  (Read 4210 times)

Offline pianosmyth

• PS Silver Member
Eletronic piano that supports USB headphones
on: March 23, 2011, 09:28:15 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into buying a piano. I will most likely be moving about every so often and would like to get an eletronic piano for portability. I will probably be living with other people and would like to be able to play the piano using headphones. I already have a set that I really like (https://reviews.logitech.com/7061/5095/logitech-g35-surround-sound-headset-reviews/reviews.htm) but they have a USB interface.

Does anyone know if there are electronic pianos that output to USB? This would save me buying another set.

Thanks in advance

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Eletronic piano that supports USB headphones
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 04:11:21 AM
Those headphones are meant more for computer use as opposed to a discrete audio source.  It looks like they would serve as an external sound card + headphones for your computer.  They would likely give better audio performance than most motherboard integrated sound devices. 

Most digital pianos already have the headphone amp built in.  They do not need another device to render the audio, as the piano has already done this before it is set to the audio jack. 

My recommendation is to get yourself headphones with a 1/4" connector.  The selection of digital pianos you will be able to choose from opens up much wider if you go with this standard equipment. 

Even if you wish to get the G35 headset additionally for computer use, $129 is not much of a hit considering a lot of digital pianos are in the $1000+ range. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianosmyth

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 03:53:55 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I know it would limit my choice but was more of a question whether it was supported on electronic pianos currently or should I stop looking for it. I don't mind picking up a standard set of headphones, its just I already own the G35 (which I bought mainly for gaming).

I know the main function is to improve the audio quality and produce a surround sound effect from standard audio but they can also be picked up on computers with a generic driver that allows them to be used without the extra features.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 08:19:44 PM
Personally, I've never come across a digital piano that has USB port for an external sound device. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline jimbo320

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:56:55 PM
First find an EP you like then worry about the headphones. My headphones are inexpensive enough to be throw aways....
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Music is art from the heart. Let it fly\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"...

Offline john90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 02:15:46 PM
I use my digital keyboard in MIDI mode (With Garageband, on a Mac, similar are available on PCs), and use whatever sound device is plugged into the computer. Speakers, headphones, etc. For me this comes out better quality than the headphone socket on the keyboard, as my keyboard is a weighted key, stage piano, and quite old. This approach would work well with your USB headphones. Any reasonably modern quality digital piano keyboard should work like this.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 05:35:59 PM
I use my digital keyboard in MIDI mode (With Garageband, on a Mac, similar are available on PCs), and use whatever sound device is plugged into the computer. Speakers, headphones, etc. For me this comes out better quality than the headphone socket on the keyboard, as my keyboard is a weighted key, stage piano, and quite old. This approach would work well with your USB headphones. Any reasonably modern quality digital piano keyboard should work like this.

The OP would just need to make sure their computer supports MIDI input.  Otherwise an internal or external sound device would need to be added to the computer. 

There are some really good sampled pianos available now.  This is a good option if you wanted to go beyond the keyboards internal sounds.

Offline hastur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 07:36:31 PM
There are quite a few cheap usb adapters that allow you to connect midi devices. But as for an e. piano with support for a usb-headset I'd be surprised if there even was one. Put your money into a good digital piano and then get a pair of decent headphones. Most headphones meant for portable audio devices such as MP3-players usually come with a 1/4" adapters which would let you use the headphones with your piano. If you visit a shop that sells digital pianos, and other music equipment and ask them what solution they would recommend for your needs you'll probably get a really good deal for your money.

- H
My current to-do list:
* Yann Tiersen
~ La Valse d'Amélie
* Beethoven
~ "Pathétique" II. Adagio
* Petzold
Menuet in G minor (BWV 115)
* Satie
- Gymnopédie No. 3

Offline john90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 01:06:51 AM
The OP would just need to make sure their computer supports MIDI input.  Otherwise an internal or external sound device would need to be added to the computer. 
For my laptop I needed to buy a USB to Midi lead, which was another 15 pounds or so.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert