Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Experienced student needing to go back and learn theory...please help!  (Read 7906 times)

Offline mara0203

• PS Silver Member
I'm 18 years old and going off to college next year. I'd really like to get involved in something with piano by my sophomore year, and possibly minor or double major in performance, but I need a stronger background in theory/technique. I took lessons for 9 years, then at 15 quit, and throughout most of high school had to teach myself because of time constraints and financial circumstances. With a weak background in theory as it was, I only continued to learn new pieces, and regrettably didn't continue practicing scales or theory. I need to go back and learn, but not the absolute basics. Any suggestions for books or other instructional tools that aren't extremely expensive and would be good for reviewing/learning over the summer and fall?

Offline raisinbrahms

• PS Silver Member
I bought a cheap copy of William Duckworth's "A Creative Approach to Music Fundamentals".  You can find some on Amazon right now for next to nothing.  The edition I had (sixth) covered everything from scales, intervals, rhythmic notation, etc. on up to elementary harmony.  I gave myself a crash course over the summer and was well prepared to start my music major theory sequence in the fall.  Good luck  :)

Offline musicman99

• PS Silver Member
The AB Guide to Music Theory (in two parts) is a very good guide. There are exercise books that go with these textbooks, which are published by the associated board as well.

Offline yale_music

• PS Silver Member
What sort of theory do you need? Basic rudiments, harmony, counterpoint, form, etc.?

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
I'm 18 years old and going off to college next year. I'd really like to get involved in something with piano by my sophomore year, and possibly minor or double major in performance, but I need a stronger background in theory/technique. I took lessons for 9 years, then at 15 quit, and throughout most of high school had to teach myself because of time constraints and financial circumstances. With a weak background in theory as it was, I only continued to learn new pieces, and regrettably didn't continue practicing scales or theory. I need to go back and learn, but not the absolute basics. Any suggestions for books or other instructional tools that aren't extremely expensive and would be good for reviewing/learning over the summer and fall?

Not trying to be some kind of philosopher, but first you should look at it like "going forward" and learning theory, not "going back".
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert