Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Bach invention no 1 trouble  (Read 10318 times)

Offline supapiano225

• PS Silver Member
Bach invention no 1 trouble
on: May 10, 2011, 11:44:24 AM
I can play hands sepratley but i cant seem to connect
them together,
how do you play the first melody of the RH with the LH while the RH plays the Trill at the start
of the piece.
Plus how do you read the trills in the invention using only the fingering numbers?

i know this makes me sound like a real begginer
but i really want to play this piece.

Hope you can help :) :) :)
yours: student in need  :( :( :(

piano is my passion!

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach invention no 1 trouble
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 01:45:28 AM
There are two approaches you might find helpful. The first is just to work on that section hands separate and then when you put the hands together let you brain focus on the hand that's NOT trilling. Sometimes that works fine. But if it doesn't the second approach is to write out the trill in full, in this case, the easiest thing would be to write it as b-c (two 32nd s) b - (16th). Because this trill is approached from above, I'd start it on the principal note, b. Once you've written it out, practice it very slowly to learn the coordination of the two hands. Once you've got that down, you can try going back to the first approach and relaxing a bit. As you get more comfortable you can add repetitions to the trill. And I do recommend thinking about the hand that's not trilling, somehow ornaments are  easier if you aren't thinking to hard about them.

Offline aintgotnorhythm

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:45:54 AM
Agree completely with brogers70, the only thing I was going to mention is that I think there is a choice as to what notes to play here.

I have a couple of editions of this invention that are different again, one has the ornament in the first bar played as c-b-c (three 32nds played as triplets) b (16th) - suggested fingering 3232 -and the other edition has a lower mordant played b-a (two 32nds) b (16th) - suggested fingering 213.

Offline supapiano225

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 05:48:00 AM
i have the pianostreet  untext edition
piano is my passion!

Offline classicalmusiclover

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:39:40 AM
i just finished playing that! :D
u can help yourself by drawing lines (connecting) the note from the left and and the right hand that are played together. That helped my a lot. U made a good choice in choosing this piece, it is very nice and fun to play. Good Luck!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert