Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Playing by Ear  (Read 1963 times)

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Playing by Ear
on: May 18, 2011, 04:23:34 PM
Does anybody else here play by ear?  If you hear a song on the radio or something, can you play it?  This is what I do.  I can't read music to save my life, but I can pretty much play anything I want to by ear.  Is there anyone else here like me?
I don't practice.  I call it play because I enjoy it. --A quote by Floyd Cramer.

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Re: Playing by Ear
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:39:40 PM
Yep!  Using your ear is awesome - but, having the ability to read sheet music (even if it's just enough to situate yourself) is also useful.

Look at some basic music theory (if you haven't), and if you can catch on to that, you'll nearly be predicting what is coming up next if you are listening to something for the first time.  Learning chord progressions, keys and intervals makes your musical ear so much more adaptive.  If you really like playing by ear, it's definitely worth putting a bit of time into.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:53:12 PM
I know theory.  I aced it in college.  The reason I can't read music is because I read braille and unless you were brought up on it, braille music is a royal pain in the butt.  Plus, I don't like being told what notes to play.  I like doing my own arrangements.  I hear the chords and then play it my own way.  BTW, this is why I don't play classical.  Oh man, now I'm going to get in trouble.  I'm not trying to be a troll, guys.
I don't practice.  I call it play because I enjoy it. --A quote by Floyd Cramer.

Offline iratior

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 01:08:26 AM
I'm never satisfied I've learnt a piece until I can do it entirely by ear.  It serves me well.  One thing that used to be fun, back in the 1990's before Parkinson's, was at parties to play a game called "random Bach".  I would have people randomly select a key, and then play the prelude and fugue in it, from volume I of the WTC.  I also got people to laugh by playing the theme songs to old TV shows, including the Twilight Zone.  Even now, I was at a Christmas party, to play carols for singing along to, and somebody decided the pitches of the melodies were too high.  So on the spot, I transposed them all down a minor third.  I also make people laugh by doing a rendition of "Pomp and Circumstance" in which I will increase or decrease the pitch and speed at the same time, to make it sound as though it's being played on a broken phonograph.

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 01:10:04 AM
Awesome, lol.

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 01:55:34 AM
braille...you mean you're blind? ???
  • Mozart-Sonata KV310 - A minor

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 02:08:13 AM
Yep, I'm the female Ray Charles, lol, not quite, but yes I'm blind.  Just one more in the pile of blind piano players.

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 08:09:02 PM
Yep, I'm the female Ray Charles, lol, not quite, but yes I'm blind.  Just one more in the pile of blind piano players.

But how can you read the forum posts?

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 08:29:44 PM
There is a software on my computer that converts the text on the screen into speech.

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 08:55:00 PM
that is interesting.

I would love to have more talk with you.

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 09:42:04 PM
Yeah, we really need to chat.

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 01:00:29 AM
Don't you have MSN or something similar?

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 01:02:06 AM
Just facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000561452124
If you add me, you'll probably have to tell me who you are so I'll know so I can add you.

Offline chopinlover23

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 11:04:09 AM
Its great playing by the ear, I only do it with vocal music and today's modern music, but for classical music I still go the traditional way!! Playing by ear is nice, you memorize something quickly coz its in your mind ;D

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 02:07:53 PM
Just facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000561452124
If you add me, you'll probably have to tell me who you are so I'll know so I can add you.

I dont have facebook :p

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 09:43:28 PM
Shucky darn!!!

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 10:16:42 PM
Soooorry  :-[

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 10:52:55 PM
I don't get on there that often.  I would love to hear you play, though.

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 12:04:27 PM
I don't get on there that often.  I would love to hear you play, though.

Ok. I'll try to make a country-influenced improv this week.

Offline floydcramerfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 01:03:17 PM
That would be awesome.  I heard your improv in a minor key and it was beautiful.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert