Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Am I ready to play Fur Elise?  (Read 10370 times)

Offline classicalmusiclover

• PS Silver Member
Am I ready to play Fur Elise?
on: May 24, 2011, 12:00:44 PM
I am 14 and i started piano classes for 5 months. I started with pieces lower than grade one, but then i suddenly started feeling much more conformable, so my teacher gave me pieces that were harder. Like Bach's 1st invention. Now my new piece is fur elise. Do you think that I am ready to play it? I will be doing the grade 4 exam in november.
I also have no problem in memorizing, so i dont mind the piece being long. 

Offline drkz4ck

• PS Silver Member
Re: Am I ready to play Fur Elise?
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:35:35 PM
I think you'll do just fine.

It's quite easy actually, you'll probably get the hang of it in no time.
Some parts may feel too difficult and/or awkward at first, but it's easy to overcome them.
And it's really not that long. Most of the piece is the section repeated a lot of times and therefore memorizing it quite simple.  ::)

Offline sharmayelverton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 05:45:15 PM
I think you'll def be ready for fur elise. The hardest section is the second theme in the piece and could give you a little trouble at speed depending on your strengths and weaknesses. Just work it hands separately slowly until you have fingering perfect. The main theme will cause you no trouble at all though. Go for it and have fun. My fav part is the dark minor theme near the end. Best of luck.
Keynote Sounds - Piano Lessons North London[/url]
now free video lessons and advice when on our  blog[/url]

Offline missdoc77

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:04:44 PM
My all time favorite piece and the only one I can still play well after not playing regularly for the last 15 or so years!  I learned it when I was about your age (20 years ago!) and my 10 year old can already play the beginning melody by ear.  :)  I bet you've mastered it by now since your original post was last May!  Do you love the song??

Offline marygreen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:28:55 PM
I’m sure you’ll cope with it! I’m currently doing it by myself. Some time ago I was inspired to play something from Beethoven’s works. It happened after I’d found at onyxclassics a new disk of his compositions, performed by Maxim Rysanov, Kristina Blaumane and Jacob Katsnelson. And I don’t regret even a little about I did it! It was so great to hear yourself playing a real masterpiece) Like this feeling! Wish you to feel the same!

Offline twinklestarpurgatory

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 05:15:25 AM
Go for it! My teacher put it in front of me during my 3rd month of lessons.  Third "A" section was a pretty quick learn, the "B" and "C" not so quick but do come in time.  Just be patient with yourself and you will do fine.

Offline mikemiester

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:43:46 PM
Do it.

Take 1-2 bars at a time, spend 10-30 minutes on them until you really have them down. Take hands separately, memorize them that way, finger everything early on.

Good luck! Always practice slowly.

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 05:01:43 PM
I had just done it in my lesson book a few weeks ago with my teacher,  It's not as difficult as it looks... actually... I just mastered it after I did it.  If your really willing to do it you can get through it! :) I did and so can you.
But Jesus looked at them and said "With man this is impossible, but with God ALL things are possible!"<br /><br />~Jesus Matthew 19:26

Offline mumbles246

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 03:53:12 AM
I think you'll do great! I started the piece a few weeks ago, and Im breezing through it!  ;D.
My favourite part is the extremely fast part near the middle of the song. It is also the most difficult part. Good luck!  ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert