Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Piano lesson charge  (Read 8004 times)

Offline chenwu

• PS Silver Member
Piano lesson charge
on: June 06, 2011, 09:12:30 PM
Hello all! I am a new piano teacher and i have questions to ask for you guys. I do have a Bachelor degree of Music and had taken piano pedagogy seminar for 3 years. I am
thinking to charge my students $15/30 min and $25/hour. Now, if I do lessons to my students home, Would it be reasonable if i add $5 per week for the transportation? i need your advice and suggestions please. thank you.

Offline spencervirt

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano lesson charge
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:59:00 PM
I don't know where you live, but in California you would never find a qualified piano teacher for that low. I pay $60 per hour and that is the lowest you will find for a good teacher here. You can find $40 per hour but those teachers mostly work with really little kids.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 03:22:07 AM
In Canada, $25 per hour is something you may expect from a university student.  Most private teachers with a Bachelors in Music charge $50+ per hour.  People with graduate and doctoral degrees charge more.  Those with lots of experience can charge $100+ per hour - yes there are students willing to pay for this!  

Personally, I charge extra to give lessons at a student's home.  As well there is an extra travel and time charges if the lessons are outside certain municipal boundaries.  

The following person writes about the business end of teaching.  I would recommend reading through many of these articles:
https://users.datarealm.com/marbeth/perils.html

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:46:04 AM
Check around and ask what other teachers charge where you live. In my area, I know some teachers with degrees who charge about $20-$25 per half hour. I also know some without degrees who charge just as much or more because they are so good at it and in high demand. I don't live in a particularly affluent area - people I know won't easily part with $80-100 a month (or more if there are siblings), so you have to continually reassure them that you're worth the investment. You will get more respect that way. If you charge too little, people will not think you're very good or they won't make it a priority to practice and follow the teacher's instructions.

Yes, charge more for transportation.

Offline chenwu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 03:11:41 AM
I live in wisconsin. I had experience teaching piano in my university. Well my first charge was $25/half hour and $45/an hour. Some parents told me my fees were too high for them
and they were saying I just graduated from college and a new piani teacher. Well, as a new piano teacher who wants to have students so badly, i lowered it to $15 and $25.That is why i am charging them in a lower rate.

Offline chenwu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 05:49:11 AM
hey Quantum! that is a very good site you got there! thank you!

Offline drorperl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 05:53:21 AM
I think that it make total sense to add the little extra charge when you  travel to your students home. With the current gas price and the extra time you spend on your commute its only fair.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dror Perl. Pianist, Composer, Teacher.

https://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 07:52:33 AM
Start with a low price but raise as you get more experienced.
Funny? How? How am I funny?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert