Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Grieg - Einsamer Wanderer  (Read 5519 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Grieg - Einsamer Wanderer
on: June 16, 2011, 10:02:56 AM
one of the Grieg lyric pieces from op.43.  this was the first encore for a concert i played called "Amantes sunt Amentes" which means "lovers are lunatics."  it was dedicated to my father as he used to play this piece at home.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Re: Grieg - Einsamer Wanderer
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:50:35 AM
What a beautiful piece!  At times, there is a sense of solitude that reminds me of Schubert's Winterreise . . . I almost expect Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau to begin singing!

Thanks for sharing,
Mike

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:36:16 AM
simply beautiful.  the title translates literally as "Lonely Wanderer," although the word "einsam" is often rendered "solitary."

it's nice to hear you playing slow, expressive, quiet pieces like this.  you've clearly got a talent for big, thunderous pieces (such as your medtner), but to be able to take something as spare as this and present it so well takes a totally different skill set.  bravo.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:47:36 PM
Hi andhow,

That is one of the loveliest pieces that Grieg ever composed.  You played it very beautifully.  Thanks for posting it!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline schubertiad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:45:50 AM
I've listened to this multiple times, and have to agree with the other posts in the thread. It is beautifully played.

Ben
“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.” Leonard Bernstein

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:14:42 PM
glad you all liked it!  as i said my father used to play it, and he is very amateur, it is easy enough to approach for practically anyone.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert