\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Flowers (Read 5419 times)

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
Flowers
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:38:46 PM »

"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
Re: Flowers
«Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:39:52 PM »
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 06:14:53 PM »
That's really cool and beautiful Mayla! :) I hope I can find and make some pictures of flowers too!  :P

Offline amie_de_chopin

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 11:58:53 PM »
These flowers just had an argument and are not talking to each other...  :P

Online ted

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 01:33:03 AM »
I don't know what sort of flower this is. The plant resembles a flat cactus and it has produced one flower every year since 1981, when we moved in. Ants are very attracted to it.

The common pumpkin flower has an intriguing texture and shape.

One of my wife's cleanest roses.

"We're all bums when the wagon comes." - Waller

Offline elspeth

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 08:25:59 AM »

Go you big red fire engine!

Online ted

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 07:14:50 AM »
Not a flower, but monarchs in midwinter are very unusual here. It was sitting on the orange tree when we arrived home and I had to move quickly, so the focus wasn't the best.

Offline remy

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 11:00:31 PM »
I don't know what sort of flower this is. The plant resembles a flat cactus and it has produced one flower every year since 1981, when we moved in. Ants are very attracted to it.

Ted,

That's an orchid cactus, an epiphyte from the jungles of South America. Hence it likes moisture and high humidity, with less moisture when it's dormant during the winter.

Yours appears to be Epiphyllum Ackermanii.

remy

Online ted

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 02:16:59 AM »
Thanks Remy, I hadn't noticed you had posted. It must exude something very sweet to attract hordes of ants like it does.

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 10:12:11 PM »
Oh but Mayla spiders are supposed to bring you luck! Maybe this spider just wants to bring you luck. Or that one from the tree... that you once almost bumped into. But it doesn't really make me all that happy either if there are spiders in our aparment... specially if they're bigger, it kinda gives me chilles a little.  :P But I'm not angry at them!  :)

Online ted

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 04:47:06 AM »
This peculiar plant produces a central "flower" of bright red leaves each spring. After a while they turn green.

My garden is like my music. No ordered, tended, manicured beds here with everything regimented into the interminable twos, threes, bars and meddlesome notation of classical music. I like weeds, I like wild plants, I like the verdant chaos, teeming with spiders, grubs, bees and birds; somewhere to lie and meditate, and to catch the mingled scents of the roses and the cat turds under the calamansi tree. Just like my improvisation.

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »

Online ted

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 07:53:53 PM »
In some parts of the world you would really need to worry about certain spiders. By comparison New Zealand has only one or two mildly poisonous ones. More than fifty years ago, the South Australian triantelope was accidentally imported into Auckland in the timber used to build the Avondale racecourse grandstand. These huge, hairy spiders have since become very common here, but only in the surrounding Auckland suburbs. They have never spread, which fact is something of a puzzle.

Hundreds of them were collected a few years ago and exported for the film "Arachnophobia". The thought of people screaming in terror at these harmless, delightful creatures scuttling over the walls is too ridiculous for words.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 07:58:35 PM »
*Bob has a numb spot from a spider bite from years ago.*  Bastards.  Normal day.  Just found the bite, lost sensation in that area.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 12:13:29 AM »

Offline elspeth

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 09:53:46 AM »
I'm jealous of the wolf! Send him to live near me... I've only seen wolves in the wild once, on the Finland/Russian border, they're breathtaking.

I worry about myself sometimes, I'm clearly not normal... I like spiders too...
Go you big red fire engine!

Online ted

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 10:32:55 AM »
My son's cat with weeds and flowers.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 07:39:29 PM »
What a cool cat!  :)  8) And those flowers are really beautiful colour! That is exactly my favourite color!!  :)

Oh I wanted to say something about spiders. Some time ago (before it got this cold!!) I was watching a spider web outside and there was this bug flying around (kinda like a small butterfly just the ones that are flying around when it's dark)... and it was flying exactly around the spider web and I was like OH nooo and then it got stuck on the spider web!... and then the spider came out and I didn't even want to watch anymore but then the spider started to jump or something so the spider web started moving really quickly like kinda jumping or something like it was shaking the spider web and the bug fell out and then when the spider saw (or felt or whatever) that the bug fell out it stopped and it went away again! I couldn't believe it! It was really strange! I don't know maybe the spider wasn't hungry or it didn't want to eat that bug but I was really happy and surprised.  :)

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 04:01:04 AM »

Online ted

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 05:13:38 AM »
My wife's flowers, in particular her roses, came out a treat this year. Too bad she is overseas and missed them.

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 01:19:35 AM »
To upload photos, do I need to have them uploaded to photobucket or something?

I'm sure the answer is staring me in the face somewhere, I'm just not too good with technology if you know what I mean.  ::)

Online ted

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 01:58:50 AM »
Yes, that is what I do.  Upload the picture to photobucket. Click on it and this box will appear:

Clicking on the one called "Direct link" copies it to your buffer, which you then paste into the picture option in your post.

You have to make public any pictures you want to post of course.That is in the "Privacy" options on photobucket. 

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »
What camera are you using, Mayla?
  • Mozart-Sonata KV310 - A minor

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 06:22:03 AM »

Online ted

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 03:51:43 AM »
This plump little fellow did not take kindly to having his picture taken.

I realised after posting that it isn't actually a "fellow" at all. The big, bright ones are females and workers. Drones are tiny, totally black bees about the size of small baked beans. You never see them unless you disturb the nest. We have a nest of a couple of dozen residents in a weed patch this year. They are very useful, harmless insects, what with the honeybee population only just starting to recover.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 08:22:37 AM »
That is one bigass bee.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 08:32:01 AM »
With that cute, fluffy insect inside, itís one of the most charming and unconventional flower Iíve ever seen.. :D :D :D

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »
I absolutely LOVE wildflowers and have photos of some. I just need to find them and post them here. Thanks for the great topic!

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 12:54:23 PM »

The common cinquefoil

Online ted

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 01:59:07 AM »
Insects in general are going berserk in Auckland at present, something to do with the unusual summer weather I suppose.