Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Piano Exam  (Read 4168 times)

Offline keenleaner

• PS Silver Member
Piano Exam
on: August 23, 2004, 09:54:58 AM
Do you encourage your student to take Initial grade (as in Trinity) or pre-grade (not sure exactly what it calls?)in ABRSM?

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Exam
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 12:17:01 PM
No.

In general I do not recommend students to take grades  - although I will prepare them if that's their wish.

I only prepare them for grades 3, 5 (then theory grade 5 straightaway) and grade 8.

Grades are credentials, and more often than not have little to do with skill. I care nothing for credentials, and value highly skills.

It is quite usual to find grade 7 students who are unable to play "Happy Birthday to you". It is quite usual to find grade 8 students who are unabel to play anything at all because they forgot their grade 7 pieces and their grade 8 pieces are not yeat ready.

Over the years the grades have been made easier and duller. The repertory selection (ABRSM) for the past two seasons has been heart sinking to say the least.

If one is not careful one ends up gearing the piano course towards exam requirements, and all you do during the year is to stress over scales and three uninteresting pieces. I abhor such mentality.

To have a pre-grade exam in my opinion is just a way for grading organisations to milk some extra money. I have read their explanations on why they introduced it and I'm convinced by none of it. I am particularly against the idea that piano playing should be associated with exams for very small children.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline Swan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 02:44:36 PM
I don't think exams are for all students, but I certainly think they have their place and I do put some students through exams.  I think they work very well for those students who need motivation and a very definite goal.

The youngest I've put through an exam is ten.  That's because when I use the exam system, the workload for my students is great, because I insist they learn other pieces, and other skills that are not examined by the board.

I think you really need to work out what would be the reason for you putting a student through the pregrade/preliminary etc.   Weigh it up for each student.  Advantages and disadvantages.

Falling into the trap of 'teaching for the exam' is a problem of the teacher, not the examination board.   Exams are a tool like anything else - they can be used wisely, or to detriment.

So to answer your question, I encourage some students to do the earliest exams, but don't worry about any exams for others.  

Offline keenleaner

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 04:53:46 AM
Thank you for the replies.
According to a piano teacher, the initial grade is a great motivation to the student in the learning. Nevetheless, it gives good exposure to the students.

What do you guys think about this statement?

Another question: If no exam, then how to judge or know that the student is up to certain level?
Thanking in advance for the input.

Offline Swan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 05:37:06 AM

According to a piano teacher, the initial grade is a great motivation to the student in the learning.

I have to admit, I will only put a student through exams if I know (or strongly suspect) they will do well in them - that is pass.  And then my goal is to get them to a point where they will achieve highly.  

So to a point, I agree with the statement that the initial grade (and ANY grade they first take on) is great motivation.  However, only to a certain type of student.  

I wouldn't for instance encourage a student to do exams if they hardly ever practised,if they missed lessons (whether or not it's their fault or the fault of their parents),  if they were also struggling with school.  

I have encouraged students to do exams who aren't putting in an awful lot of effort in the lesson or at home, because I've seen their aptitude, or how quickly they can pick up concepts, or that when they do play, they have a certain musicality, or something else that I've picked up.

I did this just recently with a girl who would HO HUM through the lesson, roll her eyes, do minimal practise, but played extrememly well for the little effort she put in.  It was a bit of a difficult thing to convince her and her mother that the exams were worth it (and we're not talking money - they have that in abundance).

She just sat for her first exam only a few weeks ago and did exceptionally well.  More importantly, she is now consistenly the top practiser in my studio, has recently bought a piano (instead of a keyboard) and says she wants to do exams up to grade 8.  When she first started, she said she was only going to have lessons for another two years.  Her love for music has grown tremendously in just that one year.  

it gives good exposure to the students.

"Good" exposure for what?  Do you mean to prepare them for the NEXT exam?  Any first exam will do that.  And again, I don't think it's necessary to 'expose' all kids to the exam system.  I had one student whose mother INSISTED she do her first exam (only because her older sister was doing so well in them, and she had a friend who her mother was competitive with  ::)).  I had said very firmly NO one year and explained why.  She came back the next year and explained why her child needed to do the exams.  She mentioned motivation.  (Again, it was only to 'keep up with the Joneses').  Same woman was paying her child to practise.  When I put a stop to that, the exam idea came up.  

Anyway to cut a long story short, I agreed to put her through exams, did the paper work, she paid me, got the confirmation back and then she announced, "No, it's too much pressure for her, I want my money back."  Two weeks later the girl quit lessons all together. (Older sister is still going and doing very well in the exam system).  

I didn't want to put this kid through exams in the first place because she was a very shy girl who even found it difficult talking to me, had a short attention span, was happiest when only copying me rather than working hard (had two other teachers before me who taught that way).  

then how to judge or know that the student is up to certain level?  

I guess through experience.  I don't teach using any particular 'method' as such.  I assign pieces according to difficulty, teach theory as it arises, (although I also have a separate group theory class I invite certain ones into) introduce scales and technical exercises as needed.  I also like to to composition, arrangement and improvisation.  

Because I'm very familiar with the grading system (because I do put students through exams) I can judge what a particular student's 'level' would be.  But I don't go around telling them, "Well you're about a grade three standard, you're definitely grade 5" etc.   They just play the piano!  

Spatula

Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 01:00:36 AM
Ah yes, the whole competitive edge of keeping up with bobby joe or sussie smith.  It means nothing in terms of music.

Offline ivoryplayer4him

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 05:29:49 AM
No.

In general I do not recommend students to take grades  - although I will prepare them if that's their wish.

I only prepare them for grades 3, 5 (then theory grade 5 straightaway) and grade 8.

Grades are credentials, and more often than not have little to do with skill. I care nothing for credentials, and value highly skills.

It is quite usual to find grade 7 students who are unable to play "Happy Birthday to you". It is quite usual to find grade 8 students who are unabel to play anything at all because they forgot their grade 7 pieces and their grade 8 pieces are not yeat ready.

Over the years the grades have been made easier and duller. The repertory selection (ABRSM) for the past two seasons has been heart sinking to say the least.

If one is not careful one ends up gearing the piano course towards exam requirements, and all you do during the year is to stress over scales and three uninteresting pieces. I abhor such mentality.

To have a pre-grade exam in my opinion is just a way for grading organisations to milk some extra money. I have read their explanations on why they introduced it and I'm convinced by none of it. I am particularly against the idea that piano playing should be associated with exams for very small children.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

How can i find out more about these "Exams"?  I've never heard of them until i got on here?  I'm actually kindof interested in seeing what the critiria is for them
Romance- a short, simple melody, vocal or instrumental, of tender character

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 10:25:18 AM

How can i find out more about these "Exams"?  I've never heard of them until i got on here?  I'm actually kindof interested in seeing what the critiria is for them

For ABRSM exams (UK) and syllabus, have a look here:

https://www.abrsm.org/

For grading syllabus all over the world, look here:

https://www.pianoforum.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=stud;action=display;num=1088102691

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert