Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Piano No Mori - Kai's First Piano Competition  (Read 3666 times)

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Piano No Mori - Kai's First Piano Competition
on: July 08, 2011, 10:35:48 PM
Piano no Mori is a manga about two boys who play the piano.

One is Shurei who was brought up by a family with a rich and musical background so he has studied piano for almost his whole life, following all the rules and getting more precise and accurate according to the piano sheet.

The other boy is Kai who lives with his single mother and, but he has a natural talent with playing the piano and has a good ear despite not receiving any instruction besides of playing a piano which is believed is already broken.

The story goes to the point where both are in a piano competition, Shurei played according to the piano sheet and the rules while Kai plays and moved everyone in the audience.

However, the judges prefered Shuyei's piano instead of Kai's because of not following "the rules" and even though almost everyone in the audience had cheered Kai's piano more than the other competitors.

What do you think about it?, is this kind of experience similar in real life?

Offline ongaku_oniko

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano No Mori - Kai's First Piano Competition
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:29:52 PM
It's also an anime movie, btw. I watched it, and it was pretty good.

But I doubt there's anyone in the world with such exaggerated abilities, and I doubt there's a piano in the world that is so hard to play.

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 08:55:02 PM
It's also an anime movie, btw. I watched it, and it was pretty good.

But I doubt there's anyone in the world with such exaggerated abilities, and I doubt there's a piano in the world that is so hard to play.

Almost my same thoughts ongaku if it wasn't for the existence of child prodigies in this world.

However, the issue I wanted to remark was that in the competition almost all the jury's way of thinking was more focused in how the piano score is followed than in the interpretation and how everyone was moved by it.

That would mean that a piece is perfectly played if the piano player strictly follows the indications and what is exactly written in the score even though none feelings can be transmitted.  That view of thinking is pretty unfair, and more if there were some prejudices that influenced their judgement.

Offline ongaku_oniko

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:16:45 AM
Even child prodigies have their limits.

In regards to the jury, I can't tell you since I'm nowhere near good enough to ever participate in competitions, however based on all my knowledge, it seems that that is how the jury works.

It isn't really unfair; you can't really rank subjective qualities; it is easiest to just rank who follows the score best. It's not like playing by the score doesn't transmit feelings though, but a pure performance and competitions are meant to be played differently. Different styles of playing caters to different audiences and different purposes, I suppose.

By the way, do you know what was the piece that the girl played? Takako-chan, I think her name was.

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 02:15:27 PM
I read the manga, where the piano competition consisted on playing the same piece by all competitors.  I remember it was of Mozart, but I forgot its name (KV ___).
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert