Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Clavinova Question  (Read 4474 times)

Offline alvaro_galvez

• PS Silver Member
Clavinova Question
on: August 25, 2004, 01:41:46 AM
After giving it much thought I have decided that I will be getting an electric piano and I hear the best are the ones made by yamaha, the clavinova series.
Now, the question is as follows:
My price limit if of 2k going to 2.5k tops, now which is the best clavinova buy for this price??

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Alvaro~
damm

Offline Ashley_Steinway

• PS Silver Member
Re: Clavinova Question
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 02:00:48 AM
Indeed the Clavinova Range is very good, but also consider Roland's Range of Digital Pianos. They have features that vary throughout the range that are best for varying needs. The most expensive of the uprights are around £4,000, or approx. $5,800, but they start at around $800, and depending on what you buy, will cater for someone who uses only the piano, with the most realistic action, to someone who requires that along with great technological function.

I went into Beatties yesterday (British Department Store), and played their the Rolands, ond OMG, I recorded myself playin the Maple Leaf Rag, and it knew what key I was in when it showed the score. This may not be a new thing, I dont know, I'm into digitals, but still, it was quite amazing.

So what is it you're after? The most realistic piano (because nothing compares really), or music technology?

--Ash.

Offline alvaro_galvez

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 03:20:37 AM
Well, here´s the thing, the place where I live in La Paz, Bolivia (all the way down in South America) the music industry is not that exploited and the biggest business here is actually Yamaha, the rest are sorta irregular businesses that dont give guarantees and I´d rather be backed up by a serious company, so I decided to go with Yamaha because of that.
But Im thinking of this other new place that I believe may have Roland so I´ll see if they have some. Thanx for the advice. ;)
damm

Offline songfaucet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 09:26:46 PM
If you're interested in a great piano touch and sound without many additional features (i.e. rhythms, karaoke, follow-the-lights), look at Yamaha Clavinova CLP-170, 150, or 130.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 07:42:10 AM
I agree with Ashley on this one.  Look at the Rolands before deciding on Yamaha.

I love my Roland FP3!

Shagdac

Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 08:10:47 AM
Alvaro....I purchased a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-120 several months ago and have been very pleased. But it is true, it depends what you are looking for. I tried every different kind I could find before settling on the Yamaha. I have a accoustic as well, but was unable to practice as much as I wanted at night, without keeping the whole family awake...so that was my main reason for wanting to purchase one to keep in the bedroom.
I didn't necessary want alot of "bells and whistles", but merely something that would feel realistic, and produce a nice quality sound, and that I could record on. This does have the other voices and alot of other features, many, I've never even used yet. However, after practicing on it for hours, it's never difficult for me to go to an accoustic and play. The action (to me) feels very similar. Also, I enjoy being able to record myself with the push of a button, and listen to something I'm trying to perfect. It really makes a difference to listen to yourself without having to concentrate on what your playing at the same time. I like the built in metranome, and it does have several different piano voices which can be set for room, hall, stage, etc....as well as several "grand piano sounds". I've probably had mine for about 4-5 months and am still happy with my purchase. One of the most important aspects to me when selecting my Clavinova was to have one that allowed me after practicing to be able to switch to the accoustic or grand without having to adjust much. Meaning the feel would not be totally different. For me personally, I liked the Yamaha. I also like having 2 seperate recording tracks. And it does come with a book of 50 classical pieces, which are already programmed in the clavinova. What's really neat is that you can play these at any speed to learn them, as well as play just the recorded part of the LH or RH, while you learn the same or the other. That's kinda fun.

I'm sure there are alot better, and alot worse out there, it mainly depends on what you need. Mine was for practice and recording, with a touch as close to the "real thing" I could find. But of course, thats going to be different for everyone. Also, the price was great. It was on sale from slightly over $2000.00 to about 1288.00!

Good luck, let us know what you choose.

S :)

Offline waldstein

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 01:46:23 PM
The FP 2, and the FP 5.

Do they exists in the clavinovas as well ?? or are solely Rolands?

Offline rlefebvr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 03:18:36 AM
FP's are old technology,

The HP series is what you want in Roland. HP2 which is really in your price range. {HP1 sucks}models over HP2 and you are paying for extras until you reach the 8000$ mark.

The Clavinova series is really amazing at the CLP 170 range, but the price is probably to high for you. That one is amazing. Try the 150, but I did not like it.
I was not impressed with the touch of the other lower models, but people will argue religiously so be careful.

The sound is really more or less the same on all of them and price range is often about the bells and whistles so be careful again.

What you have to worry about is the touch. Everything about digitals is the touch and getting as close to the real thing as possible.

Do not buy without trying one. It's often a very personal decision.
Ron Lefebvre

Ron Lefebvre © Copyright. Any reproduction of all or part of this post is sheer stupidity.

Offline Floristan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 09:39:36 AM
Are you determined to have a keyboard that comes built into a case?

I have a Yahama P120, identical to the CPL120 except it's portable.  I have it set up on a Z stand, and it's a lot easier to move and lug aroung that a Clavinova

Just an alternative to consider.

Offline nipon gaki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 06:02:26 PM
just thought i'd give my imput. rolandd digitals can compare in no way with yamaha. yamaha has MUCH better action and feel. the sustain is more true. the piano sounds are as close as you can get.

roland is  a good "second" choice since technics went out of business. however if yamaha is available, that should be your first choice. if for no reason other than resale, yamaha is the clear choice.

if you can squeeze $2500. get the CLP-150
killer piano for your needs.

Offline legend

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 01:59:14 PM
im buyin one, except i dont have much $$$  8)

Spatula

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 01:03:19 AM
There are somethings in life I will never do:

1) Eat Rice with Maple Syrup (did it once, and it was gawd awful)
2) Quit Piano
3) BUY A FREAKING DIGITAL PIANO! HELL NO! (well, sorry just had to get that outta my system.  I'm very um...anti-digital)  Imagine an "analogue" computer...

Offline Ed Thomas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 04:39:21 AM
Alvaro:  I agree with the folks that said consider a separate keyboard for your money and use a separate stand.  You can make an adequate stand out of scrap plywood and sometimes save a little money.  Then get a better stand when you get some more money.  The stand can last the rest of your life as you upgrade from keyboard to keyboard anyway.  What I mean is... some of the cost of a cabinet digital piano is the cabinet.  You can skip that part if you want.

rlefebvr:  How did the Rolands improve with the HP series?  I have an FP-1 that is fine for private practice, so if the HP's are even better, I sure couldn't argue recommending them.   (I don't mean to hijack this thread, by the way.)

Spatula:  I used to work on analog computers.  For some applications, they cannot be beat.  I'm not sure of your... analog...y.   :D   I'd much rather practice on a mediocre digital than a bad acoustic piano.  And a digital beats the daylights out of NO piano atall.  I have both, and of course prefer my "real" piano.  But I run for the privacy of the digital when the house gets crowded.

Spatula

Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 05:01:38 AM
Really? Analog computers? Are you talking about the 70's computer with the punch cards?

I'd perfer to read up on some piano books rather than waste time on a keyboard.  The keyboard might only be useful (a very small 1 1/2 octave from radio shack) where you want to compose something but need a keyboard and sound reference.

Offline Ed Thomas

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 03:07:43 PM
Spatula:

https://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=analog&x=0&y=0

The reason I was joking with you about using that as a comparison is because your example actually supports an excuse to have a digital piano.  Analog computers DO exist and have a valid purpose in the world of computing and science.  In fact, an acoustic piano is really an analog piano... in a sense.  Earlier electrical keyboards were analog devices.  So by saying: "Imagine an analog(ue) computer", you assumed that such an animal does not exist and would be a horrible substitute for a computer.  In fact, an analog computer is a valid tool for the right time and place.  So is a digital computer.  So is a digital piano.

I don't blame you for not wanting to play one, but I tell you there was a time when I was extremely grateful to have access to any keyboard at all.  It allowed me to make music, however much lesser an instrument it might have been to a "real" piano.

Offline alvaro_galvez

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 18, 2004, 01:39:55 PM
Well, the choice is made, it´s the Clavinova CLP 130.
I made this choice due to the fact that its the only one in stock here right now, and if I wanted to wait for the 150 to come I´d have to wait all the way till february, and here we finishd school in november and go back in february so I really wanted to dedicate this vacation to catching up on my 3 years of slacking off :P, and since I will be graduating next year I dont think I´ll have another chance like this since next year I´ll be looking for colleges and all that stuff.
Thanks everyone! I really appreciated all your replies and even though I took a long time to finally answer back I read all the replies and considered every option (I tried looking for Rolands here but sadly there´s no retail vendor  :-\).
damm

Offline Cecin_Koot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 08:35:25 PM
i have a clavinova at home, but i got it about 5 years ago so it is old, but it is still a great piano.  It was the best when we got it. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert