Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: ta ta ta instead of C, D, E (Do, Re, Mi)  (Read 1522 times)

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
ta ta ta instead of C, D, E (Do, Re, Mi)
on: July 19, 2011, 02:15:02 PM
Has ever happened to you that when you play something in the piano, instead of thinking in the notes by their respective names, you think in them only as produced sound like tararara or dum dum dum?

Is it wrong or is it ok?, despite the answer, is there a way to train your mind to think in the sound the piano keys produce by their respective note?

Offline mcdiddy1

• PS Silver Member
Re: ta ta ta instead of C, D, E (Do, Re, Mi)
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 06:52:15 PM
When you get to an advance level, you think more in terms of tonal patterns and less in verbal language. When I read music I do not think terms of reading each note much rather I would have a part of my mind that goes Db major chord and because I have played it before I know which keys to press.

Same thing with rhythm. Once you reach a certain point, there is really no effective rhythm language . For example in Chopin etudes or Liszt music , there tends to be a great deal of grace notes , improvisatory sections, played with rubato. There is no rhythm language to count each grace note but the traditional counting system of 1+, 2+, can apply in some parts of the music.

So short answer it is ok and it is a good think to go beyond traditional counting and hearing pitches in your head rather than physically naming each note.

When you learn music by ear, you are learning to think in terms of sounds first and then transferring it physically to the piano. So yes you can train your mind by learning music by ear and doing ear training excersies.  Training your mind to think this way when you start by reading notation is more challenging but it will come after various musical experiences you have.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:00:59 AM
Singing helps you internalize sounds - there are no keys to press, strings to pluck, or objects to hit - as you are the instrument and the origin of sound.  It is something you can start doing immediately. 

Try singing simple melodies.  First play the melody on piano as you sing.  Then move on to singing  the tune without the piano.  Notice how pitches go up and down, how it feels to vocalize higher or lower pitches. 

As you get more advanced you can work on sight singing.  That is singing an unknown tune from a score without first hearing it at the piano. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline kiwitccc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 03:17:16 AM
Is it a good idea to teach this method to my son to learn piano by use the sound instead of the note name?  I think it will difficult to teach!

----------------------
https://pianodigital.blogspot.com/

Offline mcdiddy1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:08:25 AM

Is it a good idea to teach this method to my son to learn piano by use the sound instead of the note name?  I think it will difficult to teach!

----------------------

No, its not difficult at all. Teaching students to sing deals with musical experiences without describing what the pitches are. Depends on the ages of the students to determine what would be the most useful path for music learning. The older you are the sooner should be dealing with note names.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert