Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Picking a baton  (Read 1345 times)

Offline dblomd

• PS Silver Member
Picking a baton
on: September 11, 2011, 02:16:58 AM
How do you pick a baton when conducting? I had someone tell me it was supposed to be the length from my elbow to the tip of my pioniter finger. I've also heard just pick based on comfort. What is your opinon?
Learning:
Bach Partita No 1 Praeludium and Gigue
Beethoven No 9 Op 14 No 1
Schumann Novelletten Op 21 No 1
Poulenc Improvisation No 15

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Picking a baton
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:47:03 PM
I know several conductors that have a pouch holding numerous batons of different dimensions.  On many occasions i've seen a conductor change his/her baton mid-rehearsal. 

If you are new to conducting, perhaps just choose one and start using it.  Through practice you will learn the qualities you desire in a baton. 

Check out the following book:
https://www.amazon.com/Conducting-Technique-Beginners-Professionals-McElheran/dp/0193858304

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert