Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2017, 01:18:24 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Grand Style Liszt with Bererzovsky

This CD, a collection of live recordings taken from performances at the Royal Festival Hall and the Festival de la Grange de Meslay, provides yet another example of Boris Berezovsky’s stunning virtuosity and musicality. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: -Prelude Op. 3 No. 2  (Read 2632 times)
.COM

« on: August 31, 2004, 04:43:50 AM »

Has anyone played this piece?

What are your comments on it?

I feel that it is awfully neglected. :-/

-P/L:)
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

Perfectionist/Learner

piano sheet music of Prelude
Antnee
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 04:50:57 AM »

I have never performed it, but I've read through it a few times. It is a great piece, and nowhere near neglected. It's one of Rachmaninov's most famous pieces. He started to hate it because it became so popular. (We are talking about Rach here aren't we?)

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." -  Stravinsky
.COM

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 04:57:58 AM »

Neglected as in not often performed as Fantaisie Impromptu and "Revolutionary Etude" are.

Or I could just be plain wrong. Grin

Perfectionist/Learner
donjuan
PS Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 07:02:59 AM »

Yes, you are wrong.  This piece is one of Rachmaninoff's most played works, and can be described as anything but 'neglected'.  Personally, I like this work- very powerful, hypnotic, and haunting.  However, I wish it were played less frequently, and by people who can do justice to it.  
donjuan
Daevren

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 01:21:18 PM »

I think its a great but overplayed piece.
Tash
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 01:46:03 PM »

wow neglected i don't think so! it's like one of rach's most famous pieces! the audience apparently wouldn't let him leave the stage til he'd played it!

i'm playing it at the mo, love it, love the beginning love the middle love the end what's there not to love it's a no wonder it's overplayed!and i am a proud overplayer yay to fantasie hahaha it's like a contrast to my past obsession with playing pieces by composers i'd never heard of- go grutzmacher Cheesy

'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy
.COM

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 02:01:12 AM »

I think its a great but overplayed piece.

I guess I know now. Tongue

-P/L

Perfectionist/Learner
thomas_williams
PS Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 11:43:20 PM »

This is one of the pieces I am currently working on.  I love this piece!  Here is a link for more discussion on it:

http://www.pianoforum.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=misc;action=display;num=1095498251

Regards,
Thomas

It's GREAT to be a classical musician!
pianiststrongbad
PS Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004, 10:14:41 PM »

This peice is probably Rachmaninov's best known work with the possible exception of prelude in g.  I have played both.  I like the g minor better.  That is not to say in the least that the c# lacks anything as far as quality goes.  I feel c# is a wonderful peice aswell, but I think the entire Op. 3 is much more powerful than just this one prelude.  The peice is from a wonderful set.  I personally like Op. 3 No. 1 (Elegie) more.  This is the only other peice from Op. 3 I played.  But the Polichinelle (don't remember the spelling) is great too.  Whenever I hear op. 3 no.2 i always hope someone will play the other nos.  But, this is rarely the case.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: