Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Comprehensive Piano Tuition Method?  (Read 1717 times)

Offline popcornn

• PS Silver Member
Comprehensive Piano Tuition Method?
on: September 25, 2011, 10:47:54 AM
Comprehensive Piano Tuition Method?

As a classical guitarist I started my serious training using a brilliant method book, solo Guitar Playing book 1’ by Fredrick Noad. It had everything I needed (posture, reading music, technique drills, sight reading, care and shaping of nails, music theory, repertoire & even ensemble section for those lucky enough to know fellow guitarists) to take me from beginner to grade 4/5, in fact when I took my grade 4, I received distinction. The book was meant to be 2 years instruction but because I was keen I completed it in 6 months. I later went on straight to Grade 8 (also receiving distinction) BUT with the assistance of a teacher.

I have now bought a piano and I am thinking is there a comprehensive Piano method I can use to get me to Grade 4/5 (without gaps in my piano musicianship) + without the assistance of a teacher? I realise these days there are materials available (DVD, Software ETC..) that will out-perform a book, so hopefully learning the Piano will be even easier and quicker for me with these aids.

Thanks everyone for any information think may assist.

Best wishes to all,
Peter.

Offline barcelona

• PS Silver Member
Re: Comprehensive Piano Tuition Method?
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 02:58:08 PM
My advice? You can't learn how to play piano w.out a teacher....or rather you can- but badly

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Re: Comprehensive Piano Tuition Method?
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 07:51:35 PM
I know the Noad book.  I used it as a teenager.  Funny though, I was only able to play the guitar musically after extensive piano lessons with a genius teacher - I just picked it up one day and realized I was playing with my ears not fingers.  Moral?  Find a genius teacher. 

I use the Fanny Waterman piano lessons series but It'd be useless to you if you didn't have a teacher who understood where it's coming from.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert