Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Say It. I Dare You.  (Read 6036 times)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Say It. I Dare You.
Reply #100 on: November 27, 2011, 06:12:24 AM
Julia Roberts couldn't act her way out of a shoe box and "Eat pray love" has to be one of the worst films of the past decade.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #101 on: December 14, 2011, 09:28:08 PM
Oh... I have to...  ::)  :P

Well today I was kinda thinking about what's with some people.  ::) And I mean I don't want to be mean or anything but... some people don't really use their brain all that much do they?  :-\ I mean not that they're stupid... I'm sure they're smart but... it's like they don't know how to use that?

It's just that I was on a bus (going to my piano lesson) and the bus was completely full (I hate that!) and then the bus stopped again and this guy came on the bus... and he was just standing between the doors... and I was thinking: oh that won't be ok, cause I think these new buses can't close the doors if someone is standing in between. So all other doors close except those of course... and that guy is still standing there... and the bus driver opens all doors again and closes them and then turns off the bus and turns it on again and people are like: Oh is there something wrong with the bus... and that guy is still standing there looking all confused (like all other people)... and then people start going off the bus cause I guess they thought it was broken. So all of a sudden the bus was almost completely empty. And then finally that guy went to sit somewhere because almost all the sits were free cause so many people went off!  ::) Oh and I was late so that was a little annoying.

Then one other thing I thought was kinda weird: there was this woman in a car and she stopped the car and asked me where I don't know something like:  House of Commerce was?  ??? (I looked in wikipedia I'm not sure if that's the right translation, but it's something weird like that)... I mean why would you ask a school kid where something like that was? So I was just like: hmmm I don't know... I mean isn't that kinda like asking a preschool kid where a high school was? I mean it's not like they care it's not like they even know what that is...
It was this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GospodarskaZbornicaLjubljana.jpg
and I know where it is now when I saw the picture, but I didn't know what that building was. even if someone told me I would probably forget cause I don't really care.

But that was nothing compared to some stupid girls on the bus who were talking about having pets. And one said: oh you have enough time to have fish. And the other one said: oh yes we had fish but when we came back from holidays they were all dead. And she said that as if that was funny and they laughed about it. And then the third stupid ugly girl started telling about what happened to her fish, as if it was a really funny story!  >:( She was like: oh when we went on holidays we gave them as much food as we could so they would have enough to eat  :o (I mean you can't just put normal food in for I don't know how many days!!!! How stupid can you be to do something like that!?  >:( ) And then she was like: Oh but then my dad turned the aquarium off (probably she meant aquarium filter) and when we came back there was just all food everywhere the fish couldn't even move cause there was so much food.  >:( And they laughed about it like it was something soo funny!  >:( stupid.... how is that funny?! that you're having fun on holidays and your fish are slowly dying trapped in rotting food, not being able to move or breath!? How is that funny!!!!!!!!!  >:(  >:(  >:( I was soooooooooo angry!!!!!!!!!! I was trying to send them bad energy so that something bad would happen to them!!!  >:( (but i don't think I have enough bad energy anyway). I mean how stupid can you be? that you think you can just throw enogh food for a week or whatever in. I mean it's not that hard to go ask into the store about what to do!!!!!!! Cause you can buy food that slowly dissolves in a week or two (whatever you need). And I mean you can also ask someone to go feed the fish a few times, or it would be better to just leave them without food if it's just for a few days! I was soooooooooo angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(  >:(

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #102 on: December 15, 2011, 06:13:29 AM
I know what you mean.  But you can't waste your energy - good OR bad - on lowlife like that.

Offline jesc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #103 on: December 15, 2011, 09:39:03 AM
It's just that I was on a bus (going to my piano lesson) and the bus was completely full (I hate that!) and then the bus stopped again and this guy came on the bus... and he was just standing between the doors... and I was thinking: oh that won't be ok, cause I think these new buses can't close the doors if someone is standing in between. So all other doors close except those of course... and that guy is still standing there... and the bus driver opens all doors again and closes them and then turns off the bus and turns it on again and people are like: Oh is there something wrong with the bus... and that guy is still standing there looking all confused (like all other people)... and then people start going off the bus cause I guess they thought it was broken. So all of a sudden the bus was almost completely empty. And then finally that guy went to sit somewhere because almost all the sits were free cause so many people went off!  ::) Oh and I was late so that was a little annoying.

Cool! So, if there are no seats available (bus is full), one can stand on the doors, wait for everyone to get off and get to choose a seat from the multitude of vacancies?

Nice!

Since you hate it, maybe you could also stand on the doors, wait for everyone to leave and you have a scarcely occupied bus... hmmm... nice strategy

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #104 on: December 15, 2011, 07:34:53 PM
I know what you mean.  But you can't waste your energy - good OR bad - on lowlife like that.
Yes I guess, it just made me sooo angry cause so many people think that pets are just some kind of toys and they have them to play with them when they want but they just don't get that they also have to take care of their pets!!

Cool! So, if there are no seats available (bus is full), one can stand on the doors, wait for everyone to get off and get to choose a seat from the multitude of vacancies?

Nice!

Since you hate it, maybe you could also stand on the doors, wait for everyone to leave and you have a scarcely occupied bus... hmmm... nice strategy

:)  :P Yes that's true. I didn't think of that.  ;D Except if a bus driver (or even someone else who's not as nice as I am  :P ) figures it out, you can get yelled at for doing that.  :P

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #105 on: December 17, 2011, 10:37:30 AM
I think people who believe in God are idiots who are nothing but gullible sheep.

Oh - that felt good to say.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #106 on: December 17, 2011, 07:37:57 PM
Well I don't really know why some people feel good when they call other people idiots just because they believe something different than they do...  :-\

(in our familly there are some people who are very religious and some who are not at all, my mum's uncle was a priest and my mum's mum was not religious at all, but they weren't calling each other idiots!)

I think there are people who believe in God who are "idiots" and people who don't believe in God who are "idiots". It doesn't really have all that much to do with believing or not believing, it has more to do with what you do with your beliefs and what kind of person you try to be.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #107 on: December 17, 2011, 07:59:47 PM
Out of the mouths of babes...

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #108 on: December 17, 2011, 08:37:09 PM
I hate it when I'm in a really crowded place and there are those completely oblivious people that don't move at all when you're trying to get past them. They just stand there, blocking people and they don't even pay attention when you ask them to move out of the way.

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #109 on: December 18, 2011, 06:38:19 PM
Is it a coincidence that on this "piano forum" the most popular board is the "anything but piano" board?

Dunno. I just felt I had to say that.

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #110 on: December 18, 2011, 06:40:34 PM
its like that on a lot of forums...
<3

Offline pianobilliam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #111 on: December 21, 2011, 01:24:30 AM
Is it a coincidence that on this "piano forum" the most popular board is the "anything but piano" board?

Dunno. I just felt I had to say that.

I do agree. In a site dedicated to Piano, it is odd to find people venturing off to other topics.

Offline jesc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #112 on: December 22, 2011, 08:09:51 PM
I actually thought that this "non piano board" was useless during my first few visits on this site. I distinctly remember posting it.

Now my routine visit consists of: Nothing to post in the other boards? Then checkout the Non-Piano. If nothing there also, read some interesting non-piano posts and come back another time.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #113 on: January 24, 2012, 01:57:40 PM
Since Roger Federer (and my fav player) is unlikely to win the Tennis Australian Open I'd rather Djokovic win than Nadal. Most likely the finals would look like: Djokovic vs Nadal. I'd like Murray to win a Major. Poor guy, world no4 and the only one in the top 4 to never win a Major.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #114 on: January 24, 2012, 05:08:22 PM
A few players will have to retire, get injured or drop dead for Murray to win a major.

I think perhaps he is destined not to win one.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #115 on: January 24, 2012, 05:21:16 PM
I don't believe in destiny. Next year Federer might retire so that might pave more opportunities for him to win at least one. He still has a lot to improve on and he's already no4.

I hate Nadal for scratching his buttocks and Djokovic for his demonic eyes. Djoker's a funny guy though.

JL

In Fed(erer) we trust.

Offline tombowler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #116 on: January 28, 2012, 07:12:41 PM
Federer is great. I call him Mister Clean, he's such an excellent player and such a craftsman (unlike Nadal). Murray... well as an Englishman I consider him to be a foreign player (he's Scottish) and therefore neutral towards his achievements. And he's quite keen on shouting out the F word whenever he loses a point, which doesn't make him a good sportsman imho.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #117 on: February 25, 2012, 12:34:28 AM
This is to one heart.  I think that you may be angry that I brought it up.  I think that even you question why I did.  I brought it up because I wanted for you to be able to come to terms with it, and to feel as though you had a choice.  I have felt as though, for years, you have thought that you haven't had a choice and that what you feel about it has just been forced on you.  I thought that you might realize, from a different and maybe even fresh perspective, that you are either happy now or that something needs to change - and that if something needed to change, that you might feel it was possible.  Despite what kinds of "tales" the human thinking might try to convince you of me, I deeply believe that in the end -and even in your deepest heart and most quiet place now- you will actually know that in life I have fought on your side in ways that you probably don't even imagine ... and in ways that I have believed you need, whether you believe right now that you like it (and me) or not.  I have fought for and have believed in your very soul, and I believe that somewhere within you, you know that.

Peace.  
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #118 on: February 25, 2012, 06:53:08 PM
This is to one heart.  I think that you may be angry that I brought it up.  I think that even you question why I did.  I brought it up because I wanted for you to be able to come to terms with it, and to feel as though you had a choice.  I have felt as though, for years, you have thought that you haven't had a choice and that what you feel about it has just been forced on you.  I thought that you might realize, from a different and maybe even fresh perspective, that you are either happy now or that something needs to change - and that if something needed to change, that you might feel it was possible.  Despite what kinds of "tales" the human thinking might try to convince you of me, I deeply believe that in the end -and even in your deepest heart and most quiet place now- you will actually know that in life I have fought on your side in ways that you probably don't even imagine ... and in ways that I have believed you need, whether you believe right now that you like it (and me) or not.  I have fought for and have believed in your very soul, and I believe that somewhere within you, you know that.

Peace.
Just a few questions - why did you say this? to whom did you say it? and might anyone here on the forum know to whom you said it? I don't wish to sound impertinent or appear to be prying (so you don't have to asnwer, of course), but it's hard to understand or contextualise the above meaningfully if one has no idea of the identity of the addressee or the background to what you said!...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #119 on: February 25, 2012, 07:28:44 PM
I just assumed she was talking to you Alistair.  Haha.  ;D

She'll deny it of course.  And I think we can all see through Alistair's little ruse here, feigning ignorance. ... doth protest too loudly.  And stuff. ::) :P
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #120 on: February 26, 2012, 08:46:23 AM
I just assumed she was talking to you Alistair.  Haha.  ;D

She'll deny it of course.  And I think we can all see through Alistair's little ruse here, feigning ignorance. ... doth protest too loudly.  And stuff. ::) :P
I'm quite sure that if m1469 wanted to write to me privately she would do so rather than write like this on the forum.

"And stuff" what? with what?...

(!!)

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #121 on: February 26, 2012, 08:55:40 AM

Bet,

Alistair

Nothing to bet about, Mr Hinton.
 :D

JL

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #122 on: February 26, 2012, 01:53:07 PM
Nothing to bet about, Mr Hinton
And no stuffing being done either, it would seem...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #123 on: February 26, 2012, 03:09:46 PM
Stuffing?  :-\

Well... I have to admit I was a little disappointed when I saw that only two people watched my video that I posted in My pets thread. Well I mean I know maybe it was because I said I was playing the piano for music again  ::) but I mean it's not like you can't turn off the sound... I mean I just didn't want to leave the real sound in because people were talking all over and one of the doggies was barking all the time so I thought it would be better to put music instead of that... well ok so I know I know it's probably just as annoying to listen to me play the piano  ::) but ok it doesn't matter. But the doggies were really really cute!!!!!!!!

And the second thing I wanted to say is that... I noticed I have to force myself to go practice my piano every day!  :( Not that I don't want to! I really really love playing piano!! But... it's just that I think about what it sounds like ALL the time!!!!!! I'm just imagining our neighbours being all annoyed when they hear me start practicing again. And all the time while I practice and when I make mistakes (cause of course when you practice you make mistakes right?) and I just see in my head how they're like: oh she's soooooo bad!!!!!! she's practicing the same piece over and over and not getting it right and making mistakes, she'll never get it right anyway! why is she even trying?  ::) and then every time I make mistakes or when I get lost and I need a lot of time before I can continue I just feel so embarrassed!  :-[ and then I REALLY can't get it right anymore! And now I'm just playing with the quiet pedal all the time!! And I thought that they can't hear that! But then the neighbour who lives two floors below us told my dad that the piano is pretty loud, and my dad said he didn't say it in a bad way but I just feel like I can't practice anymore without thinking about what other people think of my playing........ and some people said they would play even more and louder if someone was complaining about it... but I'm not like that... I don't want to be annoying, I don't want to make people angry... but I would never want to give my piano away either!!!! Oh well whatever!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #124 on: February 26, 2012, 05:16:44 PM
I thought might be appropriate for the comment.

'N stuff.  :P

Littletune, you could have rubber pads under the piano feet.  That would cut down on vibrations travelling through the building. Or throw a thick blanket over the top and back of the piano.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline bunker1297

• PS Silver Member
Reply #125 on: February 27, 2012, 12:16:36 AM
I absolutely hate how everybody at my dance school is so obsessed with where you go dance for the summer. I hate how everyone feels the need to curse every five words. I hate how the guy I am dead in love with likes my friend. I hate it!!!

There. I said it.
If you're holding out for universal popularity, I'm afraid you will be in this cabin for a very long time. --J. K. Rowling

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #126 on: February 27, 2012, 08:10:19 AM
Sorabji.

There; everyone happy now?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #127 on: February 27, 2012, 03:58:43 PM

And the second thing I wanted to say is that... I noticed I have to force myself to go practice my piano every day!  :( Not that I don't want to! I really really love playing piano!! But... it's just that I think about what it sounds like ALL the time!!!!!! I'm just imagining our neighbours being all annoyed when they hear me start practicing again. And all the time while I practice and when I make mistakes (cause of course when you practice you make mistakes right?) and I just see in my head how they're like: oh she's soooooo bad!!!!!! she's practicing the same piece over and over and not getting it right and making mistakes, she'll never get it right anyway! why is she even trying?  ::) and then every time I make mistakes or when I get lost and I need a lot of time before I can continue I just feel so embarrassed!  :-[ and then I REALLY can't get it right anymore! And now I'm just playing with the quiet pedal all the time!! And I thought that they can't hear that! But then the neighbour who lives two floors below us told my dad that the piano is pretty loud, and my dad said he didn't say it in a bad way but I just feel like I can't practice anymore without thinking about what other people think of my playing........ and some people said they would play even more and louder if someone was complaining about it... but I'm not like that... I don't want to be annoying, I don't want to make people angry... but I would never want to give my piano away either!!!! Oh well whatever!
Littletune, I know EXACTLY where you're at.  In my apartment in Rome, I practised to my heart's content for 30 years.  No one EVER complained.  In fact, they said they liked it.  THEN, the people upstairs moved out, and the new ones who moved in...well, I was never able to practise seriously again.  They never said anything to my face, but everytime I started practising, I would hear stomping around and banging.  It was a nightmare.  I couldn't touch the piano again without that shrinking "OMG I'm going to bother them" psychosis.  Fortunately, we bought a place in the country, and there I can practise to my heart's content.  I don't know what advice to give you.  I know one time I got so mad I banged out the finale from the Schumann symphonic etudes - from beginning to end for 1/2 hour.  I felt better afterwards, but it didn't change anything.  I know a japanese pianist who couldn't give a crap about people around her and would practise 8 hours a day without stopping.  It's all in the mind.  You've got no choice but to learn  to not worry about it.  Because this attitude can be very harmful to your playing. 

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #128 on: February 27, 2012, 07:30:54 PM
Birba! I like so much what you say and what you play, and more so, how you say and play it. There's a great and helpful wisdom in all of it!

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #129 on: February 27, 2012, 09:39:51 PM
Littletune, I know EXACTLY where you're at.  In my apartment in Rome, I practised to my heart's content for 30 years.  No one EVER complained.  In fact, they said they liked it.  THEN, the people upstairs moved out, and the new ones who moved in...well, I was never able to practise seriously again.  They never said anything to my face, but everytime I started practising, I would hear stomping around and banging.  It was a nightmare.  I couldn't touch the piano again without that shrinking "OMG I'm going to bother them" psychosis.  Fortunately, we bought a place in the country, and there I can practise to my heart's content.  I don't know what advice to give you.  I know one time I got so mad I banged out the finale from the Schumann symphonic etudes - from beginning to end for 1/2 hour.  I felt better afterwards, but it didn't change anything.  I know a japanese pianist who couldn't give a crap about people around her and would practise 8 hours a day without stopping.  It's all in the mind.  You've got no choice but to learn  to not worry about it.  Because this attitude can be very harmful to your playing. 

Thank you Birba! :) Yes I guess I'll have to learn that... although my mum really wants to move but my dad is not all that happy about it so I don't know... I guess we'll be here for a while so... But I just don't know what exactly would be the most appropriate hour to practice? would that be 3pm? or 5 pm?  :-\ oh well I guess I should just not think about the neighbours at all while I'm practicing!  :)

Littletune, you could have rubber pads under the piano feet.  That would cut down on vibrations travelling through the building. Or throw a thick blanket over the top and back of the piano.

Thanks Bob... well we will probably move my piano sometime soon, you think it would be better if we put something under the piano? and my piano is not close to any walls now it's kind of in the middle of my room... but now we're thinking of moving it a little closer to the wall (but that wall is not like outside wall so no apartments are on the other side)... and the piano would be under my bed  :P cause I have like a bunk bed except it doesn't have the lower bed. So the piano would be there. you think that would be ok? Maybe we could like make sound insulation under my bed  :)  :P would that be possible? would that be expensive? Oh well maybe it wouldn't be that easy I'm just thinking about it. :P

Offline 48dreams

• PS Silver Member
Reply #130 on: March 08, 2012, 09:13:26 AM
I think people who believe in God are idiots who are nothing but gullible sheep.

Oh - that felt good to say.

I think that people who believe that people who believe in God are idiots and nothing but gullible sheep are idiots and there is a special place in hell for them.  Thank you.  Carry on.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #131 on: March 08, 2012, 10:38:50 PM
I hate that I just posted a thread about things that you hate but then stumbled across a thread that's exactly like mine!  Or rather mine is exactly like this one because this one came first.

I also hate people who are anti abortion and anti-gay.  You have an entire class of people NEVER TO HAVE AN ABORTION!
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert