Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Say It. I Dare You.  (Read 6048 times)

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Say It. I Dare You.
on: October 01, 2011, 02:01:52 PM
This is it. The thread where you can say whatever it is that you've been holding in because you know you'll get slammed by friends, family, coworkers, other board members, etc.

Say it not matter how unpopular you think it is.

<3

Offline ethure

• PS Silver Member
Re: Say It. I Dare You.
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 03:22:01 PM
oh cool thread!

I'd say I dislike anyone who posts things like how fast can you play this or how fast can you play that. it's so meaningless.
courage, patience, faith, perseverance, concentration

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 04:53:10 PM
I hate when people are always talking about themselves, and how great they are and everything they do.
<3

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 07:16:27 PM
I hate when people think they know so much, and claim themselvs as experts, when they clearly aren't...

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 07:37:51 PM
^right on!
<3

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 07:54:16 PM
There's no meaning out in the world, only what we've put there.  What did you put there today?

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 01:59:33 AM
I REALLY, REALLY hate smokers who throw their cigarette butts out of their windows and onto the street... especially after flicking their ash into the street...

Offline collectivecolors

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 02:07:06 AM
I hate it when people act like there better than you because they play popular composer's pieces, failing to realize that the lesser known, and easier pieces still have something to learn from.

And, I agree with you about the cigarette butts. One time when I broke my flip flop while walking around town I stepped on one that was still lit  :(
“Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive”-Sir Walter Scott

Offline jesc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 04:58:43 AM
I hate dishonesty. Now, a person who implied something that was misunderstood or misinterpreted that's understandable but an outright lie...

And the reason why I hate it is because I don't have the $#@%ing time to psychoanalyze a person's every sentence to fish out what's the lie and what's the truth. Imagine, every freaking conversation, or in the internet, every freakin post/chat line, you're forced to check and recheck... what's the use? maybe it's better to not have the conversation at all.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 06:54:23 AM
I really hate people who talk about themselves in the third person... It's really bloody annoying.

It's so cold, and distant. Plus it makes them stink of superiority as if they can't talk about their emotions or thoughts from their own standpoint.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 07:51:54 AM
I hate it when people act like there better than you because they play popular composer's pieces, failing to realize that the lesser known, and easier pieces still have something to learn from.

And also: People who think they are better because they play lesser known.. or modern composers. "Hi, I play music that most people wont listen to, therefore I'm better than you"...

Offline vincentl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 08:08:36 AM
People who try to sound smart and speak to you in a condescending manner.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -Oscar Wilde

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 12:54:03 PM
I hate when I really want to help someone, but I don't know what to say.
<3

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 05:52:37 PM
Funny! I think this thread's title should be more like: "what I hate" or "I really hate... "  :P Because everyone is talking only about what they hate! When I first read it I didn't think about writing about the things I hate at all! But I mean I guess people need to say what they hate somewhere...   
It's just funny cause it wouldn't cross my mind at all!  :P

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 06:16:51 PM
LOL I know! You can post whatever you like here! That's what it's for : )
<3

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 09:06:49 PM
I hate when I really want to help someone, but I don't know what to say.
Or when you don't want to get help, but someone is really trying to help you anyway.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 09:32:17 PM
Get thee behind me, temptation!

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 09:57:11 PM
Or when you don't want to get help, but someone is really trying to help you anyway.

Exactly!
<3

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 01:19:20 PM
And when people get accepted to music academies, but then stop practising. That's just annoying, and they slow down everyone else!
And oh! When people doesn't get that a joke isn't funny anymore. To tell "you're gay"-jokes to someone for 35 minutes is kind of not that much fun. It's no prob for 5 minutes, but when other people join in (who doesn't even know you), and keeps saying you're gay for another 30 minutes, it's not fun anymore... And to then switch to "haha, you have a girlfriend"-jokes for another 20 minutes also kind of sucks...

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 02:34:48 PM
1. I'm cold

2. I'm tired

3. I hate my alarm

4. I need more coffee

5. I should get some chocolate while I'm at it!

6. Off to get coffee...and chocolate!
<3

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 05:10:00 PM
Listening to Yiruma. He's a.m.a.z.i.n.g! I think I'm already picking out songs for my (hopefully) future wedding.  :P
<3

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 10:14:03 PM
I live in Australia and there are WAY too many fat people.

It's like attack of the walking blobs...

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 10:31:10 PM
I live in Australia and there are WAY too many fat people.

It's like attack of the walking blobs...

LOL  ;D
<3

Offline collectivecolors

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 12:48:20 AM
And also: People who think they are better because they play lesser known.. or modern composers. "Hi, I play music that most people wont listen to, therefore I'm better than you"...
I completely agree, it's almost like the same circumstances with people who talk about being superior because they don't listen to top 40, and then those who don't think that anything off the top 40 is not good music.
“Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive”-Sir Walter Scott

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 09:35:49 PM
I am SO exhausted!
<3

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 05:32:08 PM
While I love many people and truly appreciate any ounce of thoughts and support on my behalf, can anybody understand that in almost any given day, all I can think about is being at the piano, centering myself and my being and my thoughts there, even if it's just playing scales but the point is, CONNECTING with it, and that this is something intrinsic in my being - despite other interests or "talents"?  And, that I feel when people don't care about this part of me, or don't recognize this part of me, and are only seeing what I am not giving to you - while I am working my butt off in the same number of hours as anybody else has - and I feel you judge me on this b/c I am not in choir, or I am not doing everything you think I should be doing ... that it is not just a matter of me being ingrateful or "spoiled" because I have a "choice"?  And, do you see that from my perspective, it seems that many people I know in this world would support me quitting piano for the purpose of pursuing voice, without having an deep inkling on what that feels like for me?  AND, besides that, it's not as though I have any answers about anything regarding where it's supposedly taking me!  How would I?

I want to sing, yes.  But right now, despite the pressures that I feel to fulfill obligations or even despite the desire I do have to sing, all I want to do is center myself at the piano and keep myself in pianistic shape, record, prepare for audition, prepare a recital ... despite that it's a lonely path, despite that I don't have answers.  And, even as I type this, just the fact that I acknowledge this part of myself gives me a kind of clarity that I don't have in any other way.  Can you see that, to take away that fundamental part of me, is to take away the foundation on which I put my life?  It is not that I don't believe in God - I do.  But, wouldn't we wish to live a life which most resembles that very relationship?

Please stop judging me for not being everything you'd think I should be, if I were truly anybody at all.  I need to play - and yes, I also need to sing.  Accept them both, please, and accept that piano *must* be there in a big way in order for my life to work at all.  

*goes to piano despite the world*
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 06:01:02 PM
You just do what you have to do m1469! We accept you and want you to be exactly the way you are!  :)  8) And other people can't know what it's like to be you so they shouldn't judge you!!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 08:03:03 PM
You just do what you have to do m1469! We accept you and want you to be exactly the way you are!  :)  8) And other people can't know what it's like to be you so they shouldn't judge you!!

Thanks, Littletune!  I actually appreciate that very much.  I went to the piano after I posted that and played/practiced more than I've allowed myself the past several days, and it was like drinking in deep waters and eating the best food you could ever imagine.  I'd love to spend more time there, but I at least centered myself enough to do what I've got to do now, and even though I've only got an hour before I start teaching, an hour for vocal work today is half-hour more than I gave it yesterday.  So, I'll count that as a step of progress and as having moved in the right direction in my being, today, and that's going to have to count for something towards my overall peace of mind!
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 12:04:47 AM
I think it's idiotic when people sign their name at the end of every single post... ESPECIALLY after like a two word response...

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 02:16:35 AM
I think it's idiotic when people sign their name at the end of every single post... ESPECIALLY after like a two word response...

Crap, where's my "like" button when I need it??  :P
<3

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 07:06:43 PM
Well there's something I don't understand at all!! Maybe people will think I'm a bad person or something... but I don't understand this thing about boyfriends and girlfriends (or husbands and wives). So... like... why can you only have one boyfriend or girlfriend (or husband or wife) ?? I mean you can have more than one best friend, and more than one pet and parents can have more than one kid and you can have more than one parent... and you can still love them all A LOT! You don't have to choose only one! And parents don't choose only one kid that they love..... so why?  :-\ I really don't understand! I'm sorry! And then what if you're married and you get a crush on someone?! Does that make you a bad person? Just cause you like someone? I mean how is it even possible not to have any crushes at all just cause you get married?  :-\ What if you love two people so much you wanna marry them both... does that make you a bad person?  :-\ I don't know I don't understand all that AT ALL.....  :-\

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 08:02:40 PM
Littletune, listen to an old wise man....

:o

Good questions. I have no answer...everything I tried in that direction has failed completely, so I guess I'm not really an expert. But I am happy with my life and with music :)
 :P

So instead of an answer there remains only a black empty space below me:

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 11:28:23 PM
I can do this.. a day and a half. That's all it is

I wish this stomach pain would go away, I feel awful! ughhh  :'(
<3

Offline vandermozart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 06:36:33 AM
I wish I could tell people, "Just because I'm not saying much to you, doesn't mean I don't want to talk to you, and doesn't mean I think I'm too good for you. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY AND DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE HERE!!"

Offline ethure

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 03:30:07 AM
why can you only have one boyfriend or girlfriend (or husband or wife) ?? I mean you can have more than one best friend, and more than one pet and parents can have more than one kid and you can have more than one parent... and you can still love them all A LOT! You don't have to choose only one! And parents don't choose only one kid that they love..... so why?  :-\ I really don't understand! I'm sorry! And then what if you're married and you get a crush on someone?! Does that make you a bad person? Just cause you like someone? I mean how is it even possible not to have any crushes at all just cause you get married?  :-\ What if you love two people so much you wanna marry them both... does that make you a bad person?  :-\ I don't know I don't understand all that AT ALL.....  :-\

i once saw that how much love you take equals to how much love you make -- it's not about how many people you can love, it's about how you love each of them and how you're loved in return. if someone falls into you wholeheartedly and thinks you're the only one, it feels unfair and heartbroken to see that you don't love the same way back.

but I think most people are just waiting for 'the one' in their life, so to meet someone who (feels s/he can) loves more than one person is kind of hurt, or feels not that right.
courage, patience, faith, perseverance, concentration

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 03:47:31 AM
Well there's something I don't understand at all!! Maybe people will think I'm a bad person or something... but I don't understand this thing about boyfriends and girlfriends (or husbands and wives). So... like... why can you only have one boyfriend or girlfriend (or husband or wife) ?? I mean you can have more than one best friend, and more than one pet and parents can have more than one kid and you can have more than one parent... and you can still love them all A LOT! You don't have to choose only one! And parents don't choose only one kid that they love..... so why?  :- I really don't understand! I'm sorry! And then what if you're married and you get a crush on someone?! Does that make you a bad person? Just cause you like someone? I mean how is it even possible not to have any crushes at all just cause you get married?  :- What if you love two people so much you wanna marry them both... does that make you a bad person?  :- I don't know I don't understand all that AT ALL.....  :-

I definitely wasted some passionate and open-hearted love on the wrong people, I'll tell you that much, and that can be tricky territory in life once you feel that way about it.  I used to be deeply, deeply searching from my very inner guts for a soul mate and there were times, even, that it's like I could feel him in the world without knowing him actually.  Having a true soul mate is, in my opinion, a very deep and mutual sharing, and I believe true soul mates innately share something very deep together that they simply don't/can't with anybody else in the world.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 11:58:09 AM
That's so true! I used to use the term soulmate occasionally in younger years, but looking back I realise that I actually had no idea of what that can mean until I met one, even without really searching. That was like an impact of hitherto unknown forces and changed my life completely, giving it a turn towards my true self that I didn't have before. It felt like I was born again. Of course that had some severe side effects too but the overall direction was positive.

If you encounter a true soulmate you might first confuse it with being in love (because the feelings are so intense), but often the actual relationship isn't about being in love, or shouldn't be. Some people talk about soulmate- relationships being very problematic but I think that comes often from not getting over the first phases, where everything seems to be mixed up. When things have calmed down, after a few years, such a relation can get very beautiful and relaxed, characterized by a deep mutual respect and gratefulness to each other.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 12:44:54 PM
Well I don't know... I kinda feel like I have more than just one soulmate  :P I sometimes feel even like some animals are my soulmates... but maybe it's just cause I can feel their souls... I don't know... ( I am completely sure animals have souls too, because I can feel them just like I feel other people's souls ...)!

Oh... Wolfi! How could you steal my 5th place at Compound time yesterday?!!  :o  >:(  :'( .....  ;D just kidding of course  :P I'm glad you're practicing more again!!  8)

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 02:46:59 PM
I wish there were some people on here that weren't so overly opinionated and some that actually liked something other than classical music
<3

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 03:29:05 PM
Well I don't know... I kinda feel like I have more than just one soulmate  :P I sometimes feel even like some animals are my soulmates... but maybe it's just cause I can feel their souls... I don't know... ( I am completely sure animals have souls too, because I can feel them just like I feel other people's souls ...)!

I believe that ultimately we are all connected through Soul, but in my experience, some people seem more open and connected to that emotionally and mentally than others.  Of course much of how you live your love-life all depends upon how you personally function, deeply and otherwise.  Personally, I am not a deeply casual type of person - I never have been and never will be.  Ultimately, I appreciate deep and fairly intense interactions and I feel I have something to share (and I am accepting to certain individuals) on that level, but of course I have acquaintances who I appreciate but are not the ones I'd share my deepest self with.  And even my deepest relationships can include a form of easiness, too.   There are also "types" of people I steer WAY clear from.  Naturally there are some relationships that mean more to me than others and there are some people I feel I just naturally connect with more than others.  I do tend to be fairly open and accepting of many people, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give them my entire self - to do that is something else that isn't explained in words and concepts.  And, beyond my control, there are definitely some things (not necessarily physical) I've shared with only certain individuals - let's say 1 or 2 people in my entire life, and even then it's completely unique between those.  Please keep in mind that this post does not outline explicitly my inner life :).

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: October 09, 2011, 05:46:12 PM

Oh... Wolfi! How could you steal my 5th place at Compound time yesterday?!!  :o  >:(  :'( .....  ;D just kidding of course  :P I'm glad you're practicing more again!!  8)

Hehe  ;D

I needed a break. And we had very beautiful weather last week so I was more into "project shapety shape" :)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 06:18:52 PM
I wish there were some people on here that weren't so overly opinionated and some that actually liked something other than classical music

Actually I am not really opinionated, I am open to other than classical, I anyway need to be, because many of my students love to play pop songs during certain phases. And in my composing I am not sticking to one certain classical style but I use whatever I need, style-wise. I actually like some pop songs and some jazz (for instance Brad Mehldau), though I don't listen very often.
I like for instance songs like this one:

Or "unfaithful" (But I'm not a Rihanna fan, I only like that song)
And of course Beatles. And Queen! Those def rule!  8)

But to me it needs to have a certain quality, there's a lot of very boring "industrial" stuff around nowadays. Most of that stuff they're playing in my local mall drives me crazy. But sometimes when they play a good song I forget my errands, start to sing along and people glance suspiciously at me, like "what's up with this guy"  ;D

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: October 09, 2011, 07:44:35 PM
Actually I am not really opinionated, I am open to other than classical, I anyway need to be, because many of my students love to play pop songs during certain phases. And in my composing I am not sticking to one certain classical style but I use whatever I need, style-wise. I actually like some pop songs and some jazz (for instance Brad Mehldau), though I don't listen very often.
I like for instance songs like this one:

Or "unfaithful" (But I'm not a Rihanna fan, I only like that song)
And of course Beatles. And Queen! Those def rule!  8)

But to me it needs to have a certain quality, there's a lot of very boring "industrial" stuff around nowadays. Most of that stuff they're playing in my local mall drives me crazy. But sometimes when they play a good song I forget my errands, start to sing along and people glance suspiciously at me, like "what's up with this guy"  ;D

I was just saying in general.. I guess it's a difference in people. I've been told that I'm opinionated. But I love, love, love playing the more "romantic" pieces. My teacher just recently wanted me to start playing classical music, and since I joined here it seems like everyone plays classical. So I want to try it. But it all seems so choppy and unpretty. :-|
<3

Offline krystellle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: October 09, 2011, 08:04:25 PM
Alright.  Here goes:  I don't care for Horowitz's playing.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: October 09, 2011, 08:28:17 PM
I was just saying in general.. I guess it's a difference in people. I've been told that I'm opinionated. But I love, love, love playing the more "romantic" pieces. My teacher just recently wanted me to start playing classical music, and since I joined here it seems like everyone plays classical. So I want to try it. But it all seems so choppy and unpretty. :-|

Choppy? I don't get what you're talking about. I think you might want to listen to the right people :)
But anyway, there might be a very common confusion about the term "classical". Some people use this term only for the period of Viennese classical music, aka Mozart/Haydn/Beethoven, some others use it as a term for music that remotely resembles anything between Gesualdo and Boulez. So you can't really get to terms with that. How about just starting to hear and play music instead? :) And don't crossing yourself if you encounter something that goes beyond the three basic harmonies? :)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: October 09, 2011, 08:35:42 PM
Alright.  Here goes:  I don't care for Horowitz's playing.

Not yet  ;D

Offline krystellle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 09:12:10 AM
You mean I will?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: October 10, 2011, 04:35:29 PM
You mean I will?

Maybe yes :) *looks into crystal ball but can't see anything*

So yes I'd stick with "maybe yes"   ;D

Offline megadodd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011, 06:30:09 PM
I really want to dismember people that talk to much.
Repertoire.
2011/2012

Brahms op 118
Chopin Preludes op 28
Grieg Holberg Suite
Mendelssohn Piano trio D minor op 49
Rachmaninoff Etude Tabelaux op 33 no 3 & 4 op 39 no 2
Scriabin Preludes op 1

Offline krystellle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: October 10, 2011, 06:31:18 PM
Maybe yes :) *looks into crystal ball but can't see anything*

So yes I'd stick with "maybe yes"   ;D
At any rate, I LOVE bridge over troubled water![
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert