Piano Forum

Topic: My Practicing Problem  (Read 2047 times)

Offline thomas_williams

• PS Silver Member
My Practicing Problem
on: January 15, 2003, 01:02:34 AM
I have a practicing problem.  I will be practicing, working on a new piece or whatever, and someone hearing me will make an ignorant remark that does not help me (such as "I heard you playing" so and so; "you're doing a strange kind of practicing," etc.).  Such unwanted remarks from bystanders drive me crazy  ::) and seem to hamper my musical progress.  I can get more nervous practicing at home than I do in actual performance.  I was wondering, do any of you have this problem?  Those of you who are teachers, do you have students with this type of problem?
It's GREAT to be a classical musician!

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Re: My Practicing Problem
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 01:42:14 AM
I can sympathise with you as piano practice is essential to our art and yet it can be intrusive and irritating particularly to musically unsympathetic people.  Disparaging remarks can also hurt us and can affect our concentration in practice.  

Just try to keep these unwanted comments in perspective and remember that most people are very happy to hear the sound of piano being played even if it is just repetitive practice. Those very few people who do not like the sound of piano practice are disgruntled for some other reason. That has been my experience.

Playing the piano sometimes requires the hide of rhinoceros to protect a highly sensitive musical soul and a polite, dismissive response to these unwanted words is perfectly acceptable.  Always try to remain polite and friendly when dealing with these people and avoid a quarrel as that could  create a much more difficult situation.

Be considerate in the times that you practice so that you do not antagonise people living close to you.  I do  not usually practise after 10pm or before 8am.

Even shutting doors and windows can reduce  the sound which may annoy others near by.

Always have faith and belief in what you are doing at the piano
and a clear focus on your practice should  exclude any negative thoughts.  
Practise with love and dedication to your music!
:D Robert

Offline thomas_williams

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 01:19:41 AM
I do not live on a crowded neighbourhood so my problem is not with the people living next door--I do not ever recall hearing any such remarks from them.  My problems come from people in my own family, and they are not nessissarily musically unsympathetic.  They are just ignorant, disconcerting remarks that do not help my practiclng.:-/  Does anyone else have this problem?
It's GREAT to be a classical musician!

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2003, 07:11:22 PM
The problem you describe is a kind of harassment and this is definitely unhelpful for your practice.  Honesty would be the best way to deal with it. Talk frankly and tell these family  members that it is very distracting and even hurtful to you to hear these comments and insist that they stop.  At least you say these remarks are not musically unsympathetic which is something postive.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert