Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: I can't believe it's not Coldplay...  (Read 3153 times)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
I can't believe it's not Coldplay...
on: October 31, 2011, 05:29:30 AM
I've enjoyed a number of Coldplay songs over the last few years, however I thought it was rather bizarre after Viva la Vida was conspicuously similar to the piece by Joe Satriani 'If I could fly'... but since they've settled - I had hoped it was only a once off...

HOWEVER, after listening to their new album... I hate to admit that I believe they've ripped off another song. Let me know what you think...

Here's Underworld's 'Born Slippy' video clip:

And here's Coldplay's 'Every teardrop is a waterfall' cideo clip:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listen to the beginning first few lines of either... Also - note the fact that Underworld used the idea of having their lyrics on screen while they sing - just like Coldplay has done in their video clip... This can't be just co-incidence.

Here they are in the same key, and with the Born slippy slowed down just a little.

Coldplay - Every teardrop is a waterfall: https://www.mediafire.com/?dr5lkyse5osqeu1

Underworld - Born slippy: https://www.mediafire.com/?paojx0q6yg97x04

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Re: I can't believe it's not Coldplay...
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 12:51:09 AM
Sounds similar right from the beginning.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 11:51:34 AM
I mean... could they be doing this on purpose? Are they trying to generate media interest in their music by ripping off other peoples music? Maybe they feel the hype created by the news far outweighs the money they'd have to pay to settle the lawsuit???

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:39:55 PM
Or even they are running out of ideas really fast and they want to stay in the spotlight.
Funny? How? How am I funny?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert