Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Hammerklavier intro.  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Ludvig_Van_Me

• PS Silver Member
Hammerklavier intro.
on: September 06, 2004, 03:07:10 AM
Whilst listening to different artists playing the 'Hammerklavier' their techniques of playing the first two bars are quite unique and different.

Is this done on purpose to add some of their own style and personality to the piece?

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa/HAMMERINTRO.jpg

Offline ericlc

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hammerklavier intro.
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 03:31:03 AM
I'd find it difficult to believe that any two artists would be able to play any two measures exactly the same to begin with. Don't most people like to add their own style and personality to the music? Voluntarily or not, we're all human, right?

But anyway, which recordings in particular are you referring to?
Email me at ericlc@gmail.com

Offline Ludvig_Van_Me

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 03:58:02 AM
Well  Arthur Pizarro for instance plays the chords in a measured, slow paced, concise way.

And I was just listening to Mei-Ting Sun and he goes for it! :o

Almost twice as fast as Arthur, with differing pauses and holding the notes differently.

Offline kempff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 12:59:56 PM
Kempff plays them perfect staccato, Brendel too much pedal and Pollini mild pedal. Me, somewhere in between 8)
Kempff+Brendel= GOD

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 02:37:59 PM
 For something quite different, listen to Ernst Levy's.

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline Ludwig Van Rachabji

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 03:59:28 PM
I play the entire intro somewhat slowly, and then do an accelerando up to measure 18.

It all depends on the pianist. Probably NO pianist plays it exactly the way Beethoven did. Different pieces mean different things to different people. For instance, I find a lot of the first movement of Opus 111 humorous. Beethoven might have been depressed the day he wrote it. Who knows?

- Ludwig Van Rachabji
Music... can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable. Leonard Bernstein

Offline kempff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 04:17:27 PM
I play the entire intro somewhat slowly, and then do an accelerando up to measure 18.

It all depends on the pianist. Probably NO pianist plays it exactly the way Beethoven did. Different pieces mean different things to different people. For instance, I find a lot of the first movement of Opus 111 humorous. Beethoven might have been depressed the day he wrote it. Who knows?

- Ludwig Van Rachabji

Op.111 is certainly a great work. I played it last week for a college audition, they were impressed ;D

I find it more complex and emotional than humorous.
Kempff+Brendel= GOD
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert