Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: What is consciousness?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
What is consciousness?
on: November 20, 2011, 12:00:58 AM
Light topic...  ::)

Is it awareness of self?

Plants... Alive but not really thinking.
Bugs... Alive, not sure whether they're thinking or just acting out their programming.
Fish... Alive, but there. They must be thinking on some level.  I'm not around them enough.
Animals and birds... Alive, thinking, capable of emotion.
Human... Alive, conscious, etc. 

I'm wondering where the line is in there.  I'm not sure if bugs are really aware of themselves.  They don't have much space for enough brainpower.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: What is consciousness?
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 02:34:31 AM

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:36:14 AM
Personally I though consciousness was the state where you were aware of yourself and you know what you are doing.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 03:32:20 AM
I found similar ideas on wikipedia.  Awareness of self, purposeful movement, adapting/learning, planning/using the best strategy to meet your goal.

Although it sounds like all of those things could still be accomplished by something that stills isn't really conscious.

*Bob wonders if he himself is conscious or just following processes.*

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:22:24 AM
The clearest, and certainly the most original ideas I have ever read on it are those of Douglas Hofstadter in "I am a Strange Loop". The biggest mystery is why it should exist at all. As Bob implicitly asks, why do certain pockets of matter (brains) generate this phenomenon ? Why hasn't everything just evolved and ground on in a completely insensate condition ?
My personal guess, purely speculative, is that perhaps we have yet to develop the abstractions necessary to model it, and that these will turn out to be counter-intuitive in much the same way as much of modern physics and mathematics has turned out to be. In other words, the old ways of thinking about it are so deeply ingrained through evolution and in our own lives throughout childhood that something amounting to a quantum change in thought will be required to understand it.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 10:39:47 PM
Hmm, perhaps we will be able to model it, but will that give us an understanding of it any better than an equation can really tell us "what" an electron actually is (for example)? I don't think so. I don't think we'll be able to understand how our minds work any better than a sentient computer program could figure out that it is actually running on a silicon chip (unless it figures out how to look that up on wikipedia).

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 05:25:43 PM
I shouldn't worry.  It's what happens below the level of consciousness that needs attending to.

Offline flyinfingers

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 04:22:54 AM
Couldn't resist this topic because today I was just thinking about the car crash I had going 70 MPH back on March 13 (lucky day) 2010.  Lots of stress from homebuilding -- don't ever do it if you're Type A!
So to me consciousness is the state I was in before I crashed the car with the cruise control on at 70 MPH at the top of Snoqualmie Pass because I fell asleep!  Crashed into the concrete barrier separating the highway, hubby asleep, Keno, my doggie, was in her crate, and miraculously (angels were with us) we all came out perfect except Keno was scared and I had a concussion.  Ambulance came -- over my objection -- long ride to town -- still kind of out of it.  Told my hubby to grab some stuff for overnight because we were at the top of a mountain (well, roadwise), so he grabs HIS overnight bag leaving mine in the smashed up rental car!  MEN!
I wear my heart on my sleeve.  Don't touch my shirt!  Coined by yours truly, flyinfingers
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert