Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Bach - Prelude and Fugue in A-flat major, BWV862 (WTC I)  (Read 5554 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
the prelude and fugue in a-flat from the first book; the prelude is in the dance style, buoyant and rhythmic, which appeals to me a lot.similar in some ways to the e-flat fugue in book II.
the fugue is a four voice fugue that i treated in an organistic way, meaning when the subject disappears for several bars and returns in the bass, i imagined a stronger pedal registration.

the next one i have to learn, F# from book II, is a a bit longer than many, but i am determined to finish it before the new year, and mark the half-way point of the WTC project!

(23)

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach - Prelude and Fugue in A-flat major, BWV862 (WTC I)
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 02:16:04 AM
Nice; just wanted to say that it sounded lovely and great.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 01:29:02 AM
Very beautifully played! I really like the way you played the Prelude especially. Thanks for linking me to this. I think it will be very helpful.

PS I only commented on this so that there are now 3 WTC A-flat majors on the front page of the Audition Room :P

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 01:30:04 AM
Very beautifully played! I really like the way you played the Prelude especially. Thanks for linking me to this. I think it will be very helpful.

PS I only commented on this so that there are now 3 WTC A-flat majors on the front page of the Audition Room :P

thanks for listening! hehe, yes, actualyl when i first learned this i hardly knew the music. but not only are there three on the front page currently, at least one other person and maybe two posted a version in the past couple of months.  i guess this is a popular selection and i never knew it

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:52:19 AM
OOAAAOAEOOAAEEEEOAAAHH soo food!

After hearing that though...  I feel kinda salty. :-X
EDIT:

I mean good.  Not food.

But anyways, I have a couple questions.  Fingering do you use for measure 10?  And the very first C in that measure...  Is it acceptable to ignore it?  Would anyone find out?

I noticed that you detached some parts intentially.  Could you get away with detaching the first three notes of the tenor voice in measure 7?  As long as I detach other notes throughout the fugue so it's consistent.  Because whenever I try to glue them, they become a little too drenched.

And what microphone did up use to record this?
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:00:56 PM
OOAAAOAEOOAAEEEEOAAAHH soo food!

After hearing that though...  I feel kinda salty. :-X
EDIT:

I mean good.  Not food.

But anyways, I have a couple questions.  Fingering do you use for measure 10?  And the very first C in that measure...  Is it acceptable to ignore it?  Would anyone find out?

You mean the c in the bass? of course you cant ignore it... its hard to type out the fingering because that bar is complicated so here it is voice by voice.  the fingering in the bass line, starting on the c is:
5 4 3 5 3 4 3 5 3
the fingering for the tenor voice is:
2 1 1 2 (F in right hand) 1 1

I noticed that you detached some parts intentially.  Could you get away with detaching the first three notes of the tenor voice in measure 7?  As long as I detach other notes throughout the fugue so it's consistent.  Because whenever I try to glue them, they become a little too drenched.

And what microphone did up use to record this?

in measure 7 i dont see a tenor voice. in this fugue i used articultion as a way to show the dramatic structure. you can also use it for local nuance and vocal effect, but thats up to you. you can really do anything you want to. the challenge is wedding your articulation and timing and everything so strongly to the music that it seems like it has to be that way.. because in bach there are so many possibilities we have to find the ones that are the most convincing...

i used a cheap thing caled tunetalk which plugs into the bottom of an ipod, and records a track directly onto the ipod. then you can sync it to your computer. it records as a .wav file. i put it about 5 feet from the piano with a half opened lid.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:29:25 PM
You mean the c in the bass?

I meant the middle C. Because the main theme goes like, Ab Eb C Ab F Db Eb. But there's two C's right next to each other and it's difficult for me to get the voice out.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline qpalqpal

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 01:54:45 AM
I think the fugue was beautifully played. The voices well voiced. Thank you for contributing with a WELL PLAYED piece
Working on:
Bach Invention 7 (also Tureck's book)
Clementi Sonatina 3
Rachmaninoff Moment Musicaux no. 3
Skrjabin Prelude op.11 no.4
Joplin The Favorite Rag

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 06:26:27 PM
If you ever release a CD of the complete set -I will buy it -
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 01:53:48 PM
I meant the middle C. Because the main theme goes like, Ab Eb C Ab F Db Eb. But there's two C's right next to each other and it's difficult for me to get the voice out.

no you have to get it out. otherwise missing the third

thanks star struck for the very nice compliment
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert