Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Connecting Digital Piano to home stereo system  (Read 7687 times)

Offline derschoenebahnhof

• PS Silver Member
Connecting Digital Piano to home stereo system
on: December 06, 2011, 06:45:00 PM
I have a Yamaha YDP-181 with 1/4" headphone out (no line out).

Some quick and dirty googling shows that there might be issues with the peaks on the signal from the DP being too strong for the home speakers (because of no compression). Some suggest that the brilliance could be adjusted to "mellow" on the digital piano to avoid that.

Also I am guessing the levels on headphone are not the same as line out.

What about connecting a laptop with PianoTeq to a stereo system would there be similar issues of peak signals possibly damaging the speakers?

What do you say?

Thanks!
CG

Offline ionian_tinnear

• PS Silver Member
Re: Connecting Digital Piano to home stereo system
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 07:42:14 PM
I've done both.  Keyboard and Laptops can be connected to a home stereo thru an Aux/Tape/CD input, but NOT turntable.

You do need to be careful, with the keyboard especially, to no have your volume to loud as the bass may overwhelm your speakers.  Just turn down the bass on the amp, and turn off the 'loudness' option if you have it.

Start with the keyboard at 1/2 to 3/4 volume, and your stereo set to low volume too.  When you play, if the sound is distorted, turn down the keyboard until the sound is clean no matter how hard you press the key.  Once clean, turn up the amp, slowly, until you reach a useful lever.

It will work fine, just start at low volumes, and adjust carefully.  How well really depends on your stereo and speaker quality.  I have Cerwin-Vega speakers, they can handle anything...
Albeniz: Suite Española #1, Op 47,
Bach: French Suite #5 in G,
Chopin: Andante Spianato,
Chopin: Nocturne F#m, Op 15 #2
Chopin: Ballade #1 Gm & #3 Aflat Mj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:08:26 PM
Hi Ionian,

Sound advice. (Sorry, I couldn't resist that one  ;D)

I'll play it easy with the volume and keep my 3 years old away from the volume knob (once he turned the volume way up while playing a CD... I must have jumped all the way to the ceiling or something, but fortunately nobody's ears were hurt in the process).

I have a 5.1 speaker system from Logitech.

Cheers,
CG

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 07:24:54 PM
Ok, no problem connecting headphone out to stereo in of speaker system.

Since headphone out level is lower than line out, I had to crank the DP volume almost to the max, and keep the speaker system volume to about half. No distortion.

Now if only these Logitech Z5500 would stop popping every minute or so. But that's a different story  :P
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert