Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Analyse of classical sonata  (Read 6651 times)

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Analyse of classical sonata
on: December 22, 2011, 05:01:26 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for an analyse of a classical sonata (fe the first or first two pages)
With the degrees,...
Someone knows where I can find it? Or do you have one to send me?
Thanks!
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Re: Analyse of classical sonata
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 02:11:15 PM
Is this forum dead? I really have the impression when I post some new topics here.
Anyway, to be more clear: it's an harmonic analysis I'm looking for. :)
Currently learing:

Offline autodidact

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 02:37:56 PM
What sonata are you talking about?

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 02:20:04 PM
Just a harmonic analysis (I-IV-V-,...) of any classical sonata.
It would help me a lot.
Currently learing:

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 12:16:48 AM
I usually order some notes from Ross Hamilton who is in Australia. Not sure if his notes contain enough Harmonic analysis though. You should be able to figure tiny bits out yourself.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 08:29:07 PM
That's what I'm doing, but I would really want to have an example. Just any classical sonata would help me...
Currently learing:

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 05:36:42 AM
Is this forum dead? I really have the impression when I post some new topics here.
Yup, I've gotten the same impression this past week also. It's been kinda slow here. I imagine it's because a lot of people have been busy with the holidays and haven't been spending time on pianostreet.

Offline jgallag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 05:27:46 AM
What don't you get about harmonic analysis that you need to see an example for? It's really the most elementary and easy type of analysis, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to print a sonata off imslp and analyze it. I'm reluctant to do someone else's homework for them, especially since I finally get a break from that crap.

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 10:07:20 PM
I can understand that, but common, it can't be possible that noone here on a classical music forum has an harmonic analysis of a classical sonata, or can't show me a website. Just to have an example.
Currently learing:

Offline mcdiddy1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 10:39:55 PM
Here's one https://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~krr2/musan_linx.html

Go to Beethoven op 13 etc it is not the full sonata but it got a number of examples

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 01:16:51 PM
Thanks you, that helped me a bit already.

Other people with bigger examples?? Please!
Currently learing:

Offline mcdiddy1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 03:50:40 PM
Also this one is pretty good. It is a full analysis of the first movement of Beethoven's Waldstein sonata..you could just get the music and write down the progression .

https://www.teoria.com/articles/waldstein/index.html

and a list of some other analysis.  https://www.teoria.com/articles/ana.php

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 11:39:29 AM
Thank you mcdiddy1!!
Currently learing:

Offline gvans

Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 03:32:48 AM
Re analysis of classical sonata allegro form:

Usually the first theme of the exposition is played in the tonic key (I). Then comes a modulating bridge. A contrasting second theme is played in the dominant (V). Then comes cadence material (some form of IV-V-I) in various combinations.

The development ensues, or, the "working-out" as Grove called it years ago, using many key changes, sequences, and metamorphosing of the two themes.

The recapitulation ensues in the tonic (I), followed by the second, contrasting theme, this time also in the tonic (I). The coda then follows, ending the sonato allegro form.

Beethoven, of course, took all this and changed it to meet his needs. But his early works still respected it. Starting with his piano sonata no. 12, he started tweaking it. Mozart and Haydn respected it, as archtypical classists. Most Brahms sonatas also follow it, although they use romantic harmonies, chromaticism, frequent third transitions, etc.

Read Charles Rosen, "The Classical Style" if you really want to know more...

All best,

Glenn

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 08:00:32 AM

Usually the first theme of the exposition is played in the tonic key (I). Then comes a modulating bridge. A contrasting second theme is played in the dominant (V). Then comes cadence material (some form of IV-V-I) in various combinations.

The development ensues, or, the "working-out" as Grove called it years ago, using many key changes, sequences, and metamorphosing of the two themes.

The recapitulation ensues in the tonic (I), followed by the second, contrasting theme, this time also in the tonic (I). The coda then follows, ending the sonato allegro form.

Beethoven, of course, took all this and changed it to meet his needs. But his early works still respected it. Starting with his piano sonata no. 12, he started tweaking it. Mozart and Haydn respected it, as archtypical classists. Most Brahms sonatas also follow it, although they use romantic harmonies, chromaticism, frequent third transitions, etc.

All best,

Glenn

That is a very detailed and comprehensive analysis of sonata allegro form but probably  not what the OP asked for. If it is, the OP could have just as easily found this piece of information on Wikipedia.  But I have to say, thanks for sharing this, you made it more simpler to read and understand. It will prove useful to me......

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline schartmanovich

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 02:54:32 AM

All best,

Glenn
You realize that this is Rosen's example of how sonata form is incorrectly/misleadingly taught, right? If you missed that, then you missed one of the major points of his book.

Offline schartmanovich

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 02:56:05 AM
Message me your email and I'll scan and send you a complete harmonic analysis of the opening movement of Beethoven's Op. 2/1. Would that help? It's quite straightforward.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert