Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: 'Do you find this post useful?'  (Read 2609 times)

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
'Do you find this post useful?'
on: December 28, 2011, 06:04:41 AM
I was just wondering what does the 'do you find this post useful?' function do. Is it when you click 'NO' the moderator deletes the post?I dunno... I clicked that button many times but nothing happened. Just curious. :-[

Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: 'Do you find this post useful?'
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:28:06 PM
I think it has been deactivated now.

Ages ago, it would contribute to an overall "rating", but it was open to abuse and was indeed abused.

I think the idea was to highlight the posters with the most meaningful responses. Mine was 0 if memory serves and only as much as that as minus numbers were not possible.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline gerda64

• PS Silver Member
'Nervous about recording a CD
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:20:25 AM
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum (not The Street).   I'm currently engaged in choosing pieces for a CD that I'm to record, just for myself, family and friends, but since this was proposed I find that I'm not practicing as actively as I used.   I'm playing, just for enjoyment but procrastinating when it comes to actual practice of the pieces.   I think I may be nervous about the CD.   Does this make any sense?   And did anyone else here have this kind of problem/reaction if they were to make a recording?

Would love a reply or three??   Thanks to all :)

Gerda

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 01:04:47 AM
I have the opposite reaction. I abhor live performance but really enjoy recording. Try looking at it this way. What is the worst that could happen ? You might make mistakes or play badly. It doesn't matter because unlike a concert nobody is listening and you can just try again. If you are using a studio I suppose it might be different but if you are recording at home I don't think your fear has any basis in reason.

I know that is easy to say, and I know that for some players this "red light" phobia is a very real thing. Don't try to record too much at once. Start with one of the simpler pieces and work up to the harder ones. And if things go astray don't make more than two or three attempts in one session. You're doing it for friends and family so any time pressure really is in your mind.

Make sure you get your recording settings completely right first of course by testing with a few chords, scales or something. There is nothing more annoying than to play wonderfully and find the recording hasn't worked properly. Good luck.

Perhaps this topic might more correctly be in the performance or miscellaneous sections. 
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline gerda64

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:22:34 AM
Thanks Ted for your helpful and thoughtful response.   You are absolutely right and the fault lies with me or my stars :)  I am recording in a studio as it happens, a friend's studios but he is a professional and *extremely* professional about everything!  He's a great musician and a total perfectionist.   His wife is my teacher (also a professional musician) and that is how the idea for a CD came about.   I often record myself when I am playing as I think it's a good habit to form.  The choice for the CD is Beethoven Sonata (Pathetique, Adagio Mvt.); Bach Fugue; Pachabel's Canon in D; Standchen (Schubert), John Field Nocturne; Joplin, The Entertainer, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, plus a piece that I have composed myself with a few borrowed para -phrases from Mozart ....

And you are right about my location of posting!   It is my first post here and I realized that afterwards.    My thanks again for your response (I thought nobody had (responded)> and for your sound advice. 

(I am a *returning adult* to the piano after a long absence.   I really am loving it so much and so grateful that I got the chance to have a second go so to speak.   I had got a distinction in ABRSM Grade 8 ... when circumstances changed and I had to give up way back then. 

Gerda
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert