Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: How much music should students purchase?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
How much music should students purchase?
on: September 15, 2004, 05:30:59 PM
I am slowly but surely trying to clean up some of the things that have been really frustrating me about the way my studio is going now, and I have another question for willing participants...

How much music do you make your students buy for themselves?

I used to loan out tons of music, but as you probably know, things happen to them and lots of it never finds its way back to me.   Or, I will do the equivelent of when people burn cds for their students... but with paper  :-X, this happens a lot.

As I am always striving to find individual peices for students, I have a hard time making them buy book after book only to use one or two pieces.  But, maybe I should just start making them do it.  What do you other teachers do?

Thanks,

m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Re: How much music should students purchase?
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 06:38:41 PM
Well they don't need it.

But I would recommend students to buy the music for their favorite pieces. So they can read along while they listen to it.

Either buy if for them(and include the money in the payment for the lessons), copy it, or make them buy it.

Loaning your own versions sounds like a bad idea to me. You could loan it to them and let them copy it and bring it back the next lesson.

BTW, I find it pretty easy to download a score, print it and use it.

Offline Stolzing

• PS Silver Member
Re: How much music should students purchase?
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 08:56:42 AM
Really, I download all my music and print it.  It's better than buying.  You can just print out what you want to play instead of a whole book.  It saves space and it's easier to turn pages too.  If you want to play rarer stuff you'd have to buy though I suppose since you cant always find it online.  (I'm not a teacher, just to be clear)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert