Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: bach-busoni chaconne in d minor (live)  (Read 10070 times)

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
bach-busoni chaconne in d minor (live)
on: February 16, 2012, 06:43:52 PM
some mistakes (and a hilarious memo slip around '12) but i was happy with it in the end
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: bach-busoni chaconne in d minor (live)
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:00:38 PM
And you should very well be happy with it!  I enjoyed it immensely.  Beautiful tone and sense of phrasing.  This is a very difficult piece to hold together musically.   It's not played often these days.  Those mistakes take absolutely nothing away from the grandeur you presented.  I'm not sure about the memory slip you mentioned.  I wasn't following with the music.  I'm going to listen again and follow it note for note.  What edition did you use?  and what was the rest of the programme?  Wonderful performance.  Bravo.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:43:02 PM
Hi rob,

Bravo!!  That was a marvelous performance!  Back in the 50s and 60s this piece sometimes served as the opening piece of recitals, especially those that we would call "chronological programs".  But was this chaconne ever controversial!  The Bach purists used to sneer saying "Where Bach left behind a rich piano literature, why would an artist ever play a violin transcription!?!" or equivalent.  Two famous pianists at that time, Rubinstein and Michelangeli (they didn't care what anyone thought ;D), loved the piece and programmed it despite the critics, and they persisted.  The piece is not heard as frequently now.  So it was good to hear you upholding that tradition!

David 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:07:11 PM
Fantastic performance, Rob!
I admit that I have a bit of a problem with this transcription, as I strongly prefer the original violin piece, but your performance puts it into the best light! :)

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:02:02 AM
Bravo!! Wonderfully played.

The only slight thing I can say is that, I would prefer a more controlled playing of the fast passages near the very end of the piece.

I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing.

regards,

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:25:04 AM
Congratulations-the applause at the end was very well deserved. I just want to say that your playing had my full attention from beginning to end, regardless of the length of the piece and the audio quality tis excellent. Didn't sound like you had a memory slip. Had you not mentioned it, no one would have noticed, perhaps apart from some Busonic fanatics. Well played, once again. I felt a bit emotional in some parts, something I would not have felt in Bach music.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 06:23:40 AM
thank you everybody for taking the time to give this a listen

birba: it was a dover edition of busoni/bach transcriptions (chorale preludes, toccata and fugue in d minor, and c major and the chaconne i think). the memory slip @ 12 minutes is the correct figuration just played on the completely wrong register and completely wrong notes;it is probably unnoticeable without the score but ehhhhhhhh.  thanks again for your kind words

rachfan: thanks for listening and what a great bit of info that is.  haven't listened to rubinstein play this in many years and will now

wolfi: i definitely prefer the violin version also and tried my absolute best to configure this performance into something which affects one the same way as the violin version

hakki: agreed that the final page and a half is out of control compared to the first page and a half for example.  it's something im trying to change as a pianist: being more consistent in everything

pianoplayjl: your comments are too kind thank you very much sir or madam 8)

sorry for not responding right away

best wishes,

Bernhard

lol just joking

best wishes,
-rob
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 09:12:00 PM
I think you are very cool, and you have a huge heart/much love, and humour!  :) I admire your artistship! (is that even a word lol?? ):)

Offline richard_strauss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 09:15:54 AM
Great performance! I've played the Brahms transcription for the left hand, but I really wanna play this one. On a completely unrelated note: why does someone always have to cough in the middle of an inspired performance?  >:(
Currently learning:

Chopin - 24 etudes op 10 & op 25

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 07:15:47 PM
hey all

i noticed other members recently posted their recordings of this work so i thought i would shamefully bump my own  8)
also because i'm bored and was listening to it earlier today

anyway i'm still half way happy with this recording i guess, and am thinking of re visiting it

would love any and all feedback, thanks

hope you're all well
-rob

Great performance! I've played the Brahms transcription for the left hand, but I really wanna play this one. On a completely unrelated note: why does someone always have to cough in the middle of an inspired performance?  >:(

in fairness this recital was in january in canada

"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 08:40:40 AM
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump

i'm super srnunk i ra n into a violinst from the TSO (torotno) on my way home alst night nad talked about this piece of music

mostly i otld him howm uch i love prokofiev ciolin concert o 2nfd mvt in g minot s oooooooooo good
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 10:58:17 AM
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump
i'm super srnunk i ra n into a violinst from the TSO (torotno) on my way home alst night nad talked about this piece of music
mostly i otld him howm uch i love prokofiev ciolin concert o 2nfd mvt in g minot s oooooooooo good

Aside from what seemed like you have lost a good bit of control typing what you had in mind, the mention of how much you love Prokofiev's ciolin concert o ( is that violin and cello?) and how you "shamelessly" bumped your 4 year old post .... 

I AM BLOWN OUT OF MY SEAT .... personally there were breathless moments!!!!!!  BRAVO !!!!!
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline marijn1999

Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 12:45:43 PM
Horrible. Don't take me wrong. The piece, not your playing, the playing is absolutely wonderful.

BW,
Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline pantonality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 02:49:56 PM
While there is much excellent playing in this I have to take issue with your interpretation of one section. You blow through this section so easily that it's emotional impact is lost. On the violin it's particularly difficult, but for me it's the emotional climax of the piece. Check out the twenty seconds that start at 10:10 of this video to hear what I mean.

There has been some speculation about the impetus behind this piece (and also the Fantasia in G minor for organ). The organ piece was first mentioned as being played when Bach auditioned for the post of organist in Hamburg November 1720, Bach's first wife Maria Barbara had died suddenly in July of that year while he was away on business with his boss. The chaconne has also been linked to this sad occasion, so this is not music to play lightly nor with virtuosity. It is difficult because the emotions expressed are difficult.

This article mentions the Fantasia being composed in 1720
https://www.allmusic.com/composition/fantasia-and-fugue-for-organ-in-g-minor-great-bwv-542-bc-j42-57-67-mc0002358946
This article links the chaconne to the death of Maria Barbara.
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6888973

Steve

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 05:13:56 AM
Fascinating.  "While he was away on business with his boss".  And to return home and find his wife had died while he was away.  It's so wierd to read about this god in such a human aspect.  Puts everything in another perspective.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert